Kentucky Elk Hunt

Browntailguy

Jan 10, 2013
Application window is closed. Intel says they had 61,000 applications for around 1,000 tags. Latest herd estimate is just over 10,000 animals. Pretty healthy herd here in the bluegrass state.

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
Application window is closed. Intel says they had 61,000 applications for around 1,000 tags. Latest herd estimate is just over 10,000 animals. Pretty healthy herd here in the bluegrass state.
Browntail, you can thank the State of Kentucky and the RMEF for that, they're doing great...no wolves either!

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
It's pretty amazing what Kentucky and the RMEF has done there, considering they started with less than 10 animals, less than 20 years ago. I hope my state takes a few pointers from them as we reintroduce elk back into southern Missouri.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
fink - st. louis local news reported that mountain lions from south dakota have killed some of the elk in missouri.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
It can be either a DIY or guided. Most of the Elk are on public land. They really grow some monsters down there. Mild winters + Corn/Beans + no predators = Real big bulls.

brownbear93

Mar 28, 2013
No tag for anyone I know either for several years straight! Think our chances are better drawing a sheep tag in the most prized units in MT.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
No tag for anyone I know either for several years straight! Think our chances are better drawing a sheep tag in the most prized units in MT.
You might be right. I know there were 61,000 apps for 1000 permits. It only gets worse if you are non-resident.

brownbear93

Mar 28, 2013
But with that said heck somebody has to be the lucky one so I'm all in! LOL I am pretty sure I need some sessions with a mental health professional.....

brownbear93

Mar 28, 2013
You can actually buy tags from at least one private organization in KY I think its a coal operation. I saw the same episode and checked on it think the price was around $9,000 bucks and then you had to also have a guide on thier property so another 3-4 grand. They also have raffle's you name it they have pretty much figured out how to make a buck off it down there. The elk restoration project was just across the state line from my home county in VA.