Kenetrek Boots- Hardscrabble vs. Mountain Extremes

RobinHood

Feb 27, 2011
Henderson, NV
I was wondering if anyone has any input on the the difference in performance of these boots. I was set on picking up a set of Hardscrabble Hikers but tried on the Mountain Extremes today and they felt really good.

Sportsman Warehouse didnt have hardscrabble hikers on hand, but from the way the mountain extreme boots felt, I may go with those.

Thanks in advance for the input.

RobinHood

Feb 27, 2011
Henderson, NV
I just know I want some:) they are very comfortable, and I have yet to read a bad review
You arent kidding! I put them on for the first time and was blown away. No heel slippage at all. I tried the Danner Pronghorns on next and they are super comfy as well, they just dont feel like they will hold up as long as the Kenetrek. There is a lot of boot with the Kenetrek and they feel super solid as well.

Firearrow

Mar 1, 2011
CA
I have used the hard scrabble for the past 4 years, needed a new pair since last year. They are great light weight boots. The only bad side to these boots are you need about 15-20 miles to break them in. I did the usual break in, then went into a wilderness area for a deer hunt and had blisters with in a few miles for a steep hard climb. They were not broke in. After 15-20 miles they are awsome.

jenbickel

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Sheridan, Wyoming
www.facebook.com
I have Kenetreks and I will never buy anything else now. They are an amazing boot! I could live in them everyday... I even went jogging in them one day.. Haha The Mountain Extremes are an awesome boot. I'd pick them anyday!!

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
I have used the hard scrabble for the past 4 years, needed a new pair since last year. They are great light weight boots. The only bad side to these boots are you need about 15-20 miles to break them in. I did the usual break in, then went into a wilderness area for a deer hunt and had blisters with in a few miles for a steep hard climb. They were not broke in. After 15-20 miles they are awsome.
I had a similar experience with my Danner Santiams. They are like slippers after breaking in. Good to know about the Kenetreks. I think they will be my next boot as well.

GameSlayer

Oct 11, 2011
Idaho
I have a pair of the Mountain Extreme 400s.. I love them, but the 400 was a bit much when on a early hunt. I have tried on the hikers and they fit basically the same just shorter, I plan on buying them or the non-insulated mt. extremes this spring for my early season hunting. Great boots all around.

T43

I just went through the boot trying deal and settled on the Zamaberlan 1009s These things are amazing, I got a pro deal on them for just over $200 shipped and they feel better than most of the $300-$400 boots I looked at. The company has been around for a long time and now I see why. I have wide feet and although some of the other boots from them were way to narrow these fit great. Just something else to look at.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
I love my Kennetrek Mountain Extremes, I've had them for 3 hunting seasons.

I have hunted in several pairs of Danners, then Meindls, and Kennetreks were my last boot. They were surprisingly light compared the the Meindls. Before buying the Kennetreks I ordered like 8 pairs of boots on Zappos, and ended up sending them all back, and ordering the Kenetreks.

I backpacked 10 days for sheep in Wyoming in my Kenetreks. Great boot. In fact, they are packed in my truck and we are headed to Wyoming for mule deer tomorrow!