Kenai Peninsula Fishing

Colorado T

Aug 28, 2011
Littleton, CO
Heading to Alaska June 15th with the family. Will drive down from Anchorage to Homer for a few days then to Seward for a few more days. I have been up hunting a few times but this is the first time with the family and is mostly a site seeing trip. I do have a day charter for halibut and salmon booked but was wondering how the river fishing around Homer is and if anyone has any recommendations for locations? Not opposed to catching some large rainbows or Dolly's but would like to get out for some river/creek fishing. I am thinking it will be a little early for salmon runs.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Spent a month on the Kenai in 2019, mid May to Mid June. We did some Salmon & trout fishing around Soldotna. The one thing I know is they really have a bunch of regulations that are very region specific. Some rules kick in on different dates as specific salmon runs start and are not set until then. Some also close certain rivers when specific numbers of salmon have passed thru the check stations.

We fished halibut & salmon out of Ninilchik with a charter boat, also fished out of Homer.

I would get in touch with a tackle shop via phone and ask questions before you go. There is a really big Sportsmans Warehouse in Soldotna that we got great information from. Also ask your charter company for advice too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Colorado T

sleepingbear

Sep 15, 2011
Carson City
i use to run charters out of Ninilchik ,the folks at the general store their are really helpful and will know the local stream/river regs and have licenses and tackle. I used to catch some really nice Dolly Varden in Deep Creek just throwing mepps or similar spinners on a light spin rod.The Rainbow fishing in the Kasilof and specially the Kenai is world class.

Colorado T

Aug 28, 2011
Littleton, CO
Thanks fellas for the info! I will make some calls as you suggest. I do have a charter booked with North Country Charters out of Homer.

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
Enjoy I went last mid June. King salmon were not running much. Silvers were being caught on the Russian River. I chose to fish for Kings against the guides advice to fish for rainbow on the upper Kenai River. Reason I catch a lot of big trout here in Arkansas. We did ok on a charter out of Seward for halibut, My advise would be to check with the charter on how they fish the poles. The one I went on when you caught your big halibut other people got to fish your pole until they caught theirs. I did a lot of watching a couple pulling the hook before it was set. I was not to happy as I felt I payed to fish 4 poles. and spent over half the trip watching two miss fish after fish.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Alaska Wildland Adventures. Kenai Riverside Lodge out of Cooper Landing would be my recommendation. First class all the way. Been with them twice.

Dont forget about the razor clams also if your into that!!

Colorado T

Aug 28, 2011
Littleton, CO
Thanks for all the help from everyone who had input. Ended up taking a charter with North Country Charters out of Homer. Had a blast and caught a lot of fish. My wife even said it was the highlight of the trip. Didn't get to fish any rivers and streams due to other activities planned (Seldovia, Kenai Fjords cruise) but had an absolute fantastic trip with family!

Attachments

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Thanks for all the help from everyone who had input. Ended up taking a charter with North Country Charters out of Homer. Had a blast and caught a lot of fish. My wife even said it was the highlight of the trip. Didn't get to fish any rivers and streams due to other activities planned (Seldovia, Kenai Fjords cruise) but had an absolute fantastic trip with family!
I guess if i ever see a step ladder in a boat ill know why!