Kamado cooker

PeterJohnson

Feb 29, 2016
One of my friends had recently purchased Kamado Joe Classic 18" and says to be pretty happy with it.

marshmstr

Nov 27, 2014
Port Allen, LA
I'm leaning toward the Kamado Joe...has a few more features than the egg that come standard, and you save about $100. Cooking wise, they're the same, just hard to cough up $1000 for one, I'm still trying to talk myself into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
I have the green egg in xl and love the thing.

Slow cooking out to 15+ hrs or fire it hot and run steaks at 700 deg. I did elk steaks last night on it and they were great. Have smoked fish slow below 200 deg and cooked all kinds of stuff on it from 10 min to 15 hours.. They take about 1 time to get used to how to start the lump charcoal with out lighter fluid but not hard and they sure work well. At the end of your cook just shut it all down and reuse the charcoal the next time. Super easy to add wood chips for extra smoke flavor or leave them off for more of a normal grill flavor. Easy to control the temp once you get used to it.

They are expensive but well made so if you buy one likely you will never buy another grill.

PeterJohnson

Feb 29, 2016
Actually I'd be happy to have any of them... Maybe I will make such a present for my family in some time...

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
In my opinion the Green Egg is a pain in the butt to keep the temperature consistent. I have only used the thing about 5 times but I don't like it at all.

marshmstr

Nov 27, 2014
Port Allen, LA
In my opinion the Green Egg is a pain in the butt to keep the temperature consistent. I have only used the thing about 5 times but I don't like it at all.
They're a little expensive, but look into a BBQ Guru, that'll pretty much solve your problems....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brianboh

Jun 4, 2015
Powell, Wyoming
Green Eggs are fantastic same as Kamado Joe. However last week I bought a pellet grill and I am so impressed with them. They are not over powering with smoke like a electric smoker and cook amazing well. Everything is juicy. Cheaper then an egg too

BKHunter

Aug 27, 2015
New York
My father has the Primo which is the same concept as both that you mentioned. He loves the thing and cooks on it all year round. The food that has come off of it has been some of the best I have ever had. It takes some getting used to in order to control temps but once you get it down it's fairly easy. I think it is once of the best way to cook wild game as you can get the temps screaming hot in order to get that seared crust on the outside while leaving the inside perfectly pink. I'm sold on the thing and plan on buying one once I am done with apartment living and can afford my own house.

StuartHunts

Sep 2, 2016
I actually made my own electric smoker out of a small weber grill and an electric hotplate that I hacked up lol