Just wanted to say thanks!!

tmitch

Feb 12, 2013
Idaho
Guys I don't spend a whole lot of time on the forum, but I wanted to make thank those of you that helped me out on my Idaho elk hunt this fall. Too many times guys show up, ask for a tip, and take it and run. Never to be heard from again. I don't want to be that guy.
Ivorytip had hunted this area before and was quick to provide information and gps coordinates of spots where he found success. I didn't end up finding many elk in the spots he provided, but he gave me the needed boost in confidence, and the elk weren't too far from there this year. My hunt was a muzzleloader hunt, and I was honestly nervous about it, given the rules in Idaho. UH gave me some great information on muzzleloader loads and bullets to try. Sawfish, and CoHiCntry provide information that backed UH on the use of the No Excuses 460 gr slugs. I'm no rookie to muzzleloader hunting, but I will always accept an opportunity to learn more.

I spent a lot of time behind the gun this summer, and had a pretty good load working with the No Excuses 460gr bullets, 777 powder, and the RWS musket cap in my Traditions Vortek. I also put a "See All" open sight on the gun. I actually made an elk size target and practiced shooting it out to 200 yards. This gave me some huge confidence.

The hunt ended up being great. We had a great time chasing bulls and hunting the rut. The first few days of scouting and hunting we had seen so many bulls with broken tops that I started getting nervous about finding a "non-broken" bull. One thing leads to another, and to make a long story short I shot a bull that I probably shouldn't have, but it was still awesome. We misjudged this bull by about 15 points, and didn't even notice his broken G3 in the low light. I made a hell of a shot as he was headed to a wallow and punched the bull out at 165 yards. The bullet went right thru the bull broadside, putting a hole in the top of his heart and passing clear thru him. He only made it 30 yards. I can't say how grateful I am for the clean kill.

Thanks to all of you that provided advice and help play a part in my success. Hopefully someday I can pay you back, or pay it forward.

I will try and upload a picture.

Attachments

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Awesome bull congrats. This forum is full of amazing and knowledgeable people that are willing to help. Glad you stuck around

genesis27:3

Mar 12, 2015
North Carolina
Nice post! Putting most of the emphasis on the guys who helped make the hunt a success and little on the really nice bull, which is rarely done! And you're right, although I haven't been a member on here very long, it doesn't take long to realize the knowledge that is on this forum.

Congratulations on a really nice bull, and kudos on giving credit where credit was due!

Last edited:

OldGuy

Apr 11, 2011
Mid-America
Many times those old warriors have broken points, its the price they pay for being boss!

Good bull, and thanks for all the good words to those that helped-out.

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
Like Matt said, there's a lot of great people here that are willing to get a person in the right direction. Now I'm going to ask a question about your gun, is it a Traditions Vortek Northwestern ? If so could you please pm me your load info and Bullit info. I have one of those in my safe that's never been fired. Again, congrats on your great bull!