Just got a credit card hit for Utah Limited Entry Elk!

sambo3006

Jun 22, 2015
SW Missouri
After 13 years I finally got the credit card hit I've been waiting for. I'll be hunting elk in Utah this fall during the Wasatch late rifle hunt. To say I'm excited would be an understatement!

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
I'm really hoping you have a great hunt! Please keep us all in the loop...photos required! Ha.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The elk herd is actually down on the Wasatch from what it was even just a few years ago, but there are still nice bulls on the unit.

Good luck on the hunt.

sambo3006

Jun 22, 2015
SW Missouri
That is the best hunt on the unit!
I know! I did a lot of research before deciding to put in for this hunt. It seems to be a sleeper as far as points required to draw a rifle tag and the quality of bulls available. They had this hunt for 3 or 4 years then shut it down for several years due to the higher age class bulls being harvested compared to the age harvest objective for the unit. This is the third year of having it again and I'm betting they close it down again in a year or two. Got to strike while the iron is hot. I'll be sure to take pictures and I'm hoping to get the shot on video.

B&C Blacktails

Mar 1, 2015
I hunted mulies in that unit last year. Saw the biggest 6x6 bull I've ever seen. Good luck. Let's get a report after the hunt

Elkhunter96

Jan 8, 2013
Bountiful, Utah
They give out a ton of tags on Wasatch because it has a lower age objective than some of the other units in Utah. Its the Utah DWR theory of bringing the age class down by killing off the older bulls. I would suggest contacting Strawberry Outfitters even if you plan on a DIY hunt. They live in the area and will give you a good assessment of bull quality and expectations for that tag. I know the first year, they killed some big ones on the late tag. I cant say I heard as much from last year.

Should be a fun hunt for glassing lots of elk and finding one you want.

sambo3006

Jun 22, 2015
SW Missouri
If I use an outfitter, it will be Strawberry Bay for sure. Those guys really know the Wasatch inside and out. Just don't know if I can afford it.

lang

Nov 11, 2013
Congrats, that's a great tag. One of the Units I started hunting on 20+years ago.

May 16, 2015
After 13 years I finally got the credit card hit I've been waiting for. I'll be hunting elk in Utah this fall during the Wasatch late rifle hunt. To say I'm excited would be an understatement!
Congratulations on pulling your tag. Best of luck finding a big bull. If you bag a bull, please share your story and a picture or two:)

sambo3006

Jun 22, 2015
SW Missouri
You gotta have somebody to run the camera for that. I'm solo at this point and I'm not going to take the chance of blowing an opportunity at a bull messing around trying to get video. Besides, not sure anyone wants to see after the shot footage of a grown man going berserk like a kid who just got his first bicycle for Christmas...or maybe they do want to see that.:D

lang

Nov 11, 2013
Nothing better than a grown man falling apart after putting their heart and soul into a hunt.