Jet Boil problem

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
Hey guys and gals, wondering if you have ever had a problem with your Jet Boil not shutting off in the cold. I was out ice fishing, temp was 18 degrees F. thought I would cook up a Mountain House, and when I shut off the valve the flame would not go out, it was still on full bore. I have had propane bottles not want to seal when it is cold, but I would think the valve on the Jet Boil would have at least closed to shut off the flame. I had to blow out the flame and when I took of the canister I couldn't hear any leaking out. Any one have similar problems in the cold?

Kevin Root

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2011
San Jose, California
web.me.com
RUTTIN, I could not find anything on their faqs site on the stove locking up like you mention. Did it work ok later on for you ok?

I've fired mine up in 18 or lower degree or so and it worked fine. The only write up Jetboil noted about cold weather was below but I'm not sure it applies though.

http://www.jetboil.com/faqs

Does Jetboil work in cold weather?
All canister stoves suffer a performance drop in cold weather. The colder the fuel, the lower the vapor pressure, and the lower the burner output. The result can be noticeably longer boil times and difficulty lighting the burner with the built-in piezoelectric ignitor. Jetpower’s lower firing rate reduces canister cooling and increases performance. Jetpower fuel, with propane, helps mitigate cold weather problems. We suggest that you keep the canister in a warm pocket between uses and remove it immediately prior to heating your food. Carry an extra canister and keep it warm to swap out with a cold one when necessary, and always carry matches or a lighter as backup.

Last edited:

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
Thanks for the response Kevin. Yes it worked fine after, and it did take a lot longer to boil my water, but that was to be expected in the cold. The piezoelectric ignitor worked just fine too.