Jeremiah Johnson

Jerry

Feb 21, 2011
Joseph Or
I really enjoyed the Backcountry Perspectives by Ryan Hatfield in EHJ 123. Jeremiah (AKA Liver eatin') Johnson was and is a great movie! It brought back so many memories I had to dig out the old VHS and watch it again! Thanks Ryan!

dcannon

Feb 22, 2011
Pinedale, WY
That is the Best Movie Ever! I wish someone would create one based on the book The Big Country by A.B. Guthrie. If you really like this movie, try reading Crow Killer all about Jeremiah Johnson!

Sharpstick

Mar 1, 2011
Kamas, Utah
I read Crow Killer and loved it. Just looked The Big Sky up on Amazon and ordered it. Can't wait to read it. Thanks guys for the info.

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
I had never seen Jeremiah Johnson (and I was born in the seventies) at all, until I read Ryan's article. Looked on the guide on the tv and wow it was just starting. Great Flick, and it was filmed practically in my back yard in the Uintahs.

mattm

Feb 27, 2011
Moab, Utah, United States
"Crow Killer" showed up in the mail yesterday. I couldn't put it down. Finished it at about 0230 in the morning. Great book. The movie only touches as such a small part of his life and his exploits as a mountain man. Everyone who is interested in mountain man history should pick this book up.

Jerry

Feb 21, 2011
Joseph Or
You might try the story of Hugh Glass.
"Hugh Glass" by Bruce Bradley (1999 ISBN 0966900502) and "The Saga of Hugh Glass: Pirate, Pawnee and Mountain Man" by John Myers Myers (1976 ISBN 0803258348).

6mm Remington

Very Active Member
Mar 27, 2011
Western Montana
I too love that movie Jeremiah Johnson! One of the best ever! You guys are awful, now I have a couple books I have to go buy to read... I'm one of those that if a book is really good, I won't be able to put it down and I'll be up at 2:30 AM still reading like someone else did her as well!

I named my son after Jeremiah Johnson and his name was Jeremiah David (for the middle name after me). It pleased both me and my wife. She looked at it with a biblical perspective of Jeremiah from scripture while I was pure mountain man on my side!
David