Is that not that much success in there for wolfs

Wihunter86

Apr 25, 2018
Nw wi
Let?s see some pics from this year and would like to know .if anyone got a wolf that?s on my bucket list before anything ive seen how they wreck the deer in wi now and waiting to get put back on the shoot list again

I don't think it's too much of a hijack to add this question. At this point, what are the realistic odds of targeting a wolf successfully? Since we can't hunt them yet here, it sounds like a good way to break up the late winter boredom with a road trip to somewhere for two or three days of wolf hunting. Sounds like Idaho may be the best bet, but would a buddy and I have a 5% chance of success in three days? 10%? 50%? Not gonna dream of driving that far without some possibility of success.

QQ

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I don't think it's too much of a hijack to add this question. At this point, what are the realistic odds of targeting a wolf successfully? Since we can't hunt them yet here, it sounds like a good way to break up the late winter boredom with a road trip to somewhere for two or three days of wolf hunting. Sounds like Idaho may be the best bet, but would a buddy and I have a 5% chance of success in three days? 10%? 50%? Not gonna dream of driving that far without some possibility of success.

QQ
tough question. depends on your ability and what you are willing to do .

you are most probably NOT going to drive the backroads and shoot a wolf. ( not saying impossible but very unlikely)

IF you are into calling ,it will raise your chances dramatically.(don't expect a pack every call or even 10)

and to be obvious ,they are not in every unit in Idaho and even those units where they are they are not under every bush. do your homework on them, where people are seeing them , where do the elk winter ….

learning these things will greatly improve your chances.

I could tell you a spot(but I won't) , where I could ALMOST (nothing is certain) guarantee you would see a wolf in dec -jan. it would require you to snowshoe in about ten miles or so and spend night out ,in temps ranging from 20 degrees to -20.

I am no longer able to do such a thing but loved to in my youth.

if you are willing and able to do those things ,I would say the chance of you killing one is relatively good but would have no idea if it would be a 5% chance or 50%.

would simply say, the more you put into it the greater your chance of success will be

BAKPAKR

May 10, 2018
I hunted for wolves in Idaho for 6 days in February. I saw fresh tracks but no fresh wolves. My brother, who lives in Idaho and hunts a lot, has shot two over the years. So, I think odds of success are low, but that is not going to stop me from going again as I might just be the hunter who bumps into one.

wa-hunter

Apr 24, 2014
i lucked into one this year. heard them howling a few drainage away and just started running up and over towards them after a couple mile and to make a long story shorter one popped up at about 50 yards in front of me!!! pry the coolest eeriest thing i have ever done!! wolf.jpg

Idhikker

Feb 13, 2018
Wow congrats. Success rates are low. Outfitters hunting them for months on the Salmon River maybe get a couple a year. For regular guys odds have to be around 1%, maybe a little more. Wolves hang around places I hike near Boise and I see tracks every time I'm in there and never see them. Wolf killing is important predator management for sure.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I don't actively hunt them but do know where some are. I keep a rifle and a just in case tag handy when in the area. one day ,it will happen.

lang

Nov 11, 2013
Any wolf hunters or anyone looking to help the cause needs to look into the Foundation for Wildlife Management. For all the talk about wolves, these guys are making a difference for all of us. They are indorsed by Idaho F&G and RMEF.