Is a 20X scope overkill?

wileywapiti

Feb 21, 2011
gods country
i say..if all else fails, get closer to your target. i have never used those high magnification scopes and done pretty well. i use the 3x9 VxIII from leupold and i have missed opportunities to shoot at game because they were too far for me and my optics, but i also have always had my legs and feet to get me closer. to me, that is what hunting is about....

A good stalk will always be a better story (to me at least) than a long shot story. But its what you want, so go with the scope you like and do it your way. you wont be disappointed doing it your way.

P.S....just make sure you have good glass, it will make all the difference in the world. light gathering, in my opinion, is more important than magnification, most of your shots will be at first or last light so don't lose out because you couldn't see.

Last edited:

Elkoholic307

Banned
Feb 25, 2011
Base of the Bighorns
Hey didn't know I was capable of starting such a intellectual conversation. You guys are going to have to dumb it up alitttle for me to understand! Lol
Haha, it's starting to go over my head also, but Bitterroot seems to be nailing it. To make things easy.. your question is, "Is a 20X scope overkill?" My not-so-intelligent answer is.. no, not at all.

It's up to you how big of an objective you want. I still don't think there is a significant difference between the two. I have two 6.5-20x40mm VX3s that work great for me. If you're in really low light, turn the power down; just as you would a 50mm.

Elkoholic307

Banned
Feb 25, 2011
Base of the Bighorns
i say..if all else fails, get closer to your target. i have never used those high magnification scopes and done pretty well. i use the 3x9 VxIII from leupold and i have missed opportunities to shoot at game because they were too far for me and my optics, but i also have always had my legs and feet to get me closer. to me, that is what hunting is about....

A good stalk will always be a better story (to me at least) than a long shot story. But its what you want, so go with the scope you like and do it your way. you wont be disappointed doing it your way.
I don't think he's asking for a lecture on how to hunt...