In the market for a hunting pack

prhunter

Apr 18, 2016
West Texas
Hello everyone... I am currently shopping around for a new hunting day pack. I'm looking at bags in the 2000Ci range. Meat shelf preferred and the ability to carry a rifle would be a big plus. I am the owner of an Eberlestock X2. Great pack but no rifle scabbard. I also own an Eberlestock H2 Gunrunner. Really cool compact day pack with rifle scabbard but no meat shelf.

I was considering the Eberlestock X1Euro but this pack does not have a meat shelf.

While conducting my research I came across the Badlands 2200 and the EXO Mountain K3. Both look like good packs but I know nothing about them.

Any thoughts or experiences with any of the bags mentioned above would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
exos are awesome packs . spendy but they are, IMO ,of superior quality and comfort the eberlestock. certainly worth looking at.

Reactions: prhunter

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
Mystery Ranch has some nice packs...Spendy,but worth It.
I know because I won A Beartooth 80 pack from Eastmans!!
Way out of my price range otherwise. 💥

swampokie

Veteran member
Jul 29, 2013
Haworth Oklahoma
The badlands 2200 is an awesome pack but unless they have redesigned them they are heavy. I would definitely choose badlands for quality and price but the summit is in my opinion their best pack and 5400 ci I think. Weighed about the same as the 2200. I found one on midway a couple years ago for 175$ but normally twice that. Ive had ebberlystock and kuiu and badlands quality and customer service is much better in my opinion

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
I have a badlands 2200 that doesn’t get used since I bought my Kuiu icon pro 3200. Packs that hang on your back with no load lifting are not comfortable. That being said checkout all makes and get fitted to the pack. Kuiu fits you with a 50 sand bag inside the pack. Good luck

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Light weight frame pack provides a ton of versatility. Modifiable to the hunting style/job required for the day.

My day pack is below. 1800CI. Combined with a belt pouch and small pouch outside I carry around 64oz of water, essential kit, kill kit and emergency kit. I use it archery 90% of the time and rifle 10%. Light and sneaky. Deadhead I found attached below.20190903_121729.jpg

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
Badlands redid the 2200 last year and its an amazing pack. Bought one for my wife last year and its a great pack. I use ot on my hunts when she isn't with me. One of the guys i work with is a guide and has all the packs listed on here and said this is the next one he's going to buy..

20191118_115252.jpg20191118_115055.jpg

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I picked up an Eberlestock J34 Just One used from another member here. While I haven't used it for hunting yet (I bought it like 6 months ago) I've had it out on hikes simulating that for dry ones. I'm pretty happy with it. It seems to meet what you want?

- Has a gun scabbard. Folds away when not in use (archery)
- Great meat carrier setup.
- 2300ci. Expands to twice that with a duffel. The duffel slides into where the meat would be carried. This is nice for "spiking out" or just hiking into where you want to camp because you can do that with your full load, then drop the duffel out and be into "run and gun" mode in a few minutes.

So far I've used it on some practice runs backpacking and I like it. A few comments. First, the accessory pockets are a little clumsy. They're long and narrow which is ideal for a spotting scope or tripod but not really much else. Second, the top storage is very large but unbalanced. It's hard to find things in there with the lid flopping around, which is important because since those are the only non-tubular compartments, you tend to stuff a lot of things into them. I wish the inner side had a mesh surface rather than solid fabric, like other packs do. It'd make it easier to find things.

Anyway YMMV.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I have the Just One pack, and have used it extensively out west. I bought all the extras for it, and really like the duffle option as I can just pull it out when I set up camp. Yeah you can pack meat on the inside, and zip the duffle on the outside, but after doing that once I found I would rather make two trips than kill myself doing one. Also, with no meat shelf you have to very tightly close off the bottom straps before loading the meat to prevent it from sagging down and banging your butt with every step.
I recently bought an Eberlestock Mainframe and will test it out on my scouting trip in a few weeks. I can zip the duffle from my J1 into it. I just got the scabbard and like the option to remove it when I use the pack to day hunt. I do miss the top bag and have been experimenting with other small bags to clip on top with light caribeaners.

Last edited:

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Hello everyone... I am currently shopping around for a new hunting day pack. I'm looking at bags in the 2000Ci range. Meat shelf preferred and the ability to carry a rifle would be a big plus. I am the owner of an Eberlestock X2. Great pack but no rifle scabbard. I also own an Eberlestock H2 Gunrunner. Really cool compact day pack with rifle scabbard but no meat shelf.

I was considering the Eberlestock X1Euro but this pack does not have a meat shelf.

While conducting my research I came across the Badlands 2200 and the EXO Mountain K3. Both look like good packs but I know nothing about them.

Any thoughts or experiences with any of the bags mentioned above would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Recommend you also put it on. Ensure you have a correct....
1) Frame length
2) Shoulder strap length
3) Belt size

Get it from a store/online that has a return policy.

Lastly......if your gonna have it on for long periods with different weights and set ups.....get smart on adjusting it correctly. Makes a huge amount of difference. Watch both. You get a perspective from a hunter and a hiker. :)

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I have the Just One pack and I only use it as a spare. I'm only 5' 7" I've got it maxed out for length and still think it should be a couple inches longer.

prhunter

Apr 18, 2016
West Texas
Recommend you also put it on. Ensure you have a correct....
1) Frame length
2) Shoulder strap length
3) Belt size

Get it from a store/online that has a return policy.

Lastly......if your gonna have it on for long periods with different weights and set ups.....get smart on adjusting it correctly. Makes a huge amount of difference. Watch both. You get a perspective from a hunter and a hiker. :)
Thank you. Videos were very informative. I'll apply all the fitting/adjustments once my new pack arrives.

Thanks again!!