If you could choose/

Jerry

Feb 21, 2011
Joseph Or
If you could choose your favorite type of hunting camp, what would it be?
I love horsebackin' into remote areas with camp and all your gear packed with you. There is nothing like a string of mules being lead into the wilderness. A nice wall tent with all the amenities of home makes for a great place to unwind after a long day of hunting.
What floats your boat??

mntnguide

Very Active Member
Cant beat the wilderness pack-in hunts in my view. Nothing like being many miles from nowhere. I guess I have to say that cause its how i make a living, but in honesty i love being way back in the hills with a wall tent camp and strings of mules and horses for days to months on end. The favorite part though, Definitely pulling those strings back to civilization loaded with meat and racks.

Last edited:

rocky mt addict

Mar 5, 2011
Elko MN
definitely enjoy the mule trips too, but i am enjoying more and more going in on foot completely solo. i love the challenge of enduring a blizzard in late august to reap the rewards of the animals moving the following day. there seems to an added reward of satisfaction and accomplishment when you are not relying on anyone else but God and yourself.

BOHNTR

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
Lakeside, AZ
Something about back-packing camps above timberline during the archery mule deer season does it for me.......tranquility.

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
Lately we have kind of done it both ways. I like to take the horses in, with all my backpack gear on. Then when we get to where we want to hunt, we get off the horses and have some one take them back home. That way we don't have to worry about coming back and taking care of horses. If we are lucky enough to kill, we hike out and come back on the horses, works out pretty well

wolftalonID

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
Ohhh man, Do I have to choose? I have done neither. I used to pack back country and never hunted. Now I hunt and dont do any backpacking. I Car Camp. I know its not the same, but with two young boys who are only 5 and 6, for the last four years its been the easiest on the wife.
I have all the stuff now just about to horse pack into the back country...just minus the horses.LOL
I also just about have gotten all my pack gear back over the years with new gear.

But when we do go car camping, its usually up near Deadwood reservoir, and thats pretty remote as it is.

Mar 19, 2011
Battle Creek MI
I'm envious. My favorite so far is in a tree-stand. We don't have many mulies or elk walk through our woods in lower MI. I'm looking forward to say packing everything in and out on my back is my new favorite way. It's only about four months away.

Pronghorn73

Mar 7, 2011
Franklin, Idaho
I do what ever it takes and adjust to what ever hunt I am on. Sometimes I use horses and ride most of the day, and other times to just get me into the back country and then on foot. Like wolftalon said, with kids you have to adjust for them and the last couple of years we have done alot of hunting from our camp trailer. But with all that said there is nothing better than backpacking in solo on foot, and I do it ever chance I get.

T43

Like wolftalon said, with kids you have to adjust for them and the last couple of years we have done alot of hunting from our camp trailer. But with all that said there is nothing better than backpacking in solo on foot, and I do it ever chance I get.
Now that I have a little one I have to agree. I take the trailer in as far as I can get it and then backpack from there. It's nice having a good meal, hot shower and a warm welcome at the end of the day. If everything goes as planned this year I will be able to set up the trailer, spend a night or two on the mountain with a backpack, return for a nice night at the trailer and not have to worry about leaving the girls alone. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

shed

Mar 10, 2011
Wow! That is a tough question. At one time it was not hunting unless I bivy packed way into no mans land. I have learned to enjoy it all now. Horses, bivy topacking, base camps is all just as enjoyable. Can not stand the thought of road hunting, yuk! Archery has always been my favorite. So if I have a bow in hand I am having a good time.

Tope

Feb 21, 2011
Solo back pack bivy hunts have been the most memorable. Still love my comfy wall tent hunts though.

twp1224

Mar 6, 2011
Central Coast
+1 for me. It's nice to get packed in and save your legs and take more gear than you need, but I really enjoy backpack camping/hunting.

Something about back-packing camps above timberline during the archery mule deer season does it for me.......tranquility.

llp

Mar 15, 2011
I suppose my ultimate hunting camp is a solo bivy or one man tent high on a ridgeline in Alaska sheep country. Settling down in an old sheep bed on top of the world as the sun dips below the horizon is a magical feeling.
In elk and deer country this often becomes a two man backpacking tent deep in the wilderness. On the other hand, I still enjoy taking my tow behind camper into those units with good access roads, where I enjoy all the comforts of home. Many types of camps are excellent, and the point is to be out hunting, not wishing you were back in camp.
llp

Rob

Feb 21, 2011
Iowa
I prefer backpack hunts. Hopefully, I can continue to do so as long as my body holds up.
I second that. I'm working real hard to get in the best shape I can and hope to reward myself with another memorable high country solo hunt this Fall!