Idaho Upping Prices?

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com

I have seen on a few other threads that this has also sparked a conversation about points systems. Most of you know how Guy feels based on his article, how do all of you feel who have been playing the points game in multiple states?

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
What does the points game have to do with Idaho raising non-resident prices?

idcwby

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
don't need points for otc.

I am all for Idaho raising non res prices. anything that keeps my costs down and more nonres hunters from coming, can't be all bad.I have to pay to play in other states , should I choose to do so . see no reason Idaho shouldn't profit off of tourists same as everyone else.

truth is they could charge ten tmes the amount and folks would still come. IDAHO is that awesome! ;) 😁

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I dont plan to hunt Idaho in my lifetime anyhow..... its too far away.

I say raise the prices and price most hunters out of the sport and let the govt wasteful spending proceed, business as usual. lol

Unreal.

Micah S

Jan 11, 2016
Sandy Oregon
It was only a matter of time before Idaho raised their prices. I didn't expect them to drop tag numbers for non residents also.

If Idaho does eventually go to a preference point system they will regret it.

I'll still put in for tags in Idaho.

87TT

Very Active Member
Apr 23, 2013
Idaho
The "proposed" price increase will still be below what most other States. Needed to happen and has nothing to do with numbers of NR hunters. As recent as three years ago, they reduced prices on left over NR tags just to sell them all. If passed by the legislature, it won't go into affect until 2021. Why should Idaho be the second choice backup plan. I will fight that stupid point system. That's one of the things that makes Idaho great. They have a good comment and participation period before they make changes.

Reactions: kidoggy

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
One thing that will happen is that Idaho will raise the tag prices on non residents, it is a gimme.

Another thing that will happen is that Idaho will raise the tag prices on residents, it is also a gimme.

As for points, sooner or later Idaho will go to some kind of a draw system. When you only have XX amount of animals and you have XXXXX amount of hunters it will happen. Just when, who knows. As for what kind of system they will go to that is yet to be seen. Preference points, bonus points, or no points at all or a hybrid system such as Nevada's or just do as New Mexico all random.

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
No need to change the current draw system or even consider a points system. I’m not sure why raising prices would cause a reason to have a points system. Even with the price raise tags are still cheaper than a lot of other states. I like the fact that it will spread non-residents out better.

idcwby

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
so what if they do raise prices ???????? even with hunting license and tag fees, hunting is still one of the cheapest , fun activities out there.
IDAHO LOOKED into a point system a few years back and found it was not popular with resident hunters. look at all the fool hunters who will pay $200 for a pair of pants yet bitch over a few bucks for a tag. :rolleyes:

if it ain't broke ,don't fix it.

sure hunter #s are high now and may yet climb a bit but I doubt it will be long before we see drastic declines in hunters.

the kiddies simply don't have the passion for it we did. besides that, it's tough to afford to go hunt when you live in mommies basement till yer 40.

Last edited:

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I think it's a good idea for a general tag to only be good for a specific area, so no issue there. No issue with the non resident tag increase either, someone gotta pay the bills so Kidoggy only gotta pay $36 for an elk tag!
I'd be curious to know if this has any impact to the draw odds for non residents. I'd doubt it, since most folks I know, myself included, use the state as their last ditch effort to draw a good limited entry tag, before ultimately committing to an OTC tag somewhere.

Reactions: kidoggy and Slugz

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I think it's a good idea for a general tag to only be good for a specific area, so no issue there. No issue with the non resident tag increase either, someone gotta pay the bills so Kidoggy only gotta pay $36 for an elk tag!
I'd be curious to know if this has any impact to the draw odds for non residents. I'd doubt it, since most folks I know, myself included, use the state as their last ditch effort to draw a good limited entry tag, before ultimately committing to an OTC tag somewhere.
don't like what Idaho charges , go to another state . we won't miss you.

johnsd16

Mar 16, 2014
N Idaho
I’m a new resident (third fall coming up) and agree fully with the caps per unit and also the price increases. Look at tag prices and opportunity in other comparable states like MT, UT, OR and WA (NV has less animals) and Idaho is/was way underpriced. MT is basically $1k for an elk tag, plus $25 point if you’re doing a permit, $10 archery validation, etc. WY special is $1300 and sometimes you’re getting 7-10 days only to hunt. Why should ID be around half of those?

Researching units here I see a recurring theme where a place is on the upswing and the pressure gets crazy (R and NR alike) and it goes down only for the cycle to repeat in 10-15 years. For elk we have to pick a tag, and I think caps are fine for both R and NR which is probably an eventual path to more units going to controlled hunt/draw units. Supply and demand. I’ll continue to hunt here, and regularly in MT, do my points in WY and hunt there every 2-3 years and pay their crazy prices, in too deep in UT to quit now, same for SD, just started CO. Gotta pay to play I guess. Still cheaper than a lot of hobbies like owning horses.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
45 WAS a draw hunt for cows . now it is capped otc. I expect it will be a complete shitshow out there this year but it is what it is.