Idaho Units 27, 28

wapiti66

Aug 21, 2011
Kansas
This question is for a friend of mine, I'm trying to help do research, he has never hunted elk and is looking at booking a hunt with Middlefork Outfitters in Idaho units 27 or 28. My question is what is the wolf pressure like in that area of Idaho? I have no experience with Idaho and thought some of you guys more familiar may have some experience or knowledge of the wolves in this area and possibly know about Middlefork Outfitters? He is looking for a good backcountry hunt and knows he should go with an outfitter, not having any experience with elk hunting. Any thoughts or input is appreciated, I don't want to see him have a bad experience like show up to a place with no elk because of wolf pressure. He is looking at doing the rifle elk hunt in the rut, like sep 24th or something with the possibility of hunting mulies and bear at the same time.? Like I said, I don't know any season dates or specifics in Idaho so Im trying to scratch the surface. Thanks.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I think the wolves have done a fair amount of damage in that area but how bad I dont know and I have never hunted the area myself. I been thinking about trying 27 for deer but I havent yet due to drawing other tags. Checking if tag numbers have been cut the last few years and how many wolves have been killed should give you some idea of how bad it is. Also see how many tags didnt sell. If there are alot of tags that dont sell it can be a sign the area is not doing well.

mntnguide

Very Active Member
The entire middle fork region of Idaho has been hammered by wolves. . Including where Ron Ens and his outfit guide. . Not saying that there arent elk, but it is sure not what it used to be. I used to guide in the Middle Fork region, but left for better elk hunting 4 years ago. I know of his outfit, He is a good guy from what i know, Ive only run into Ron a couple times, years ago; but his elk hunting is definitely not the greatest to be found for a backcountry guided hunt.

wapiti66

Aug 21, 2011
Kansas
Thanks for the input guys, and that is what Im slowly finding out about the wolves. Middleforks website has some good looking bulls but no dates on any of the photos. Mntnguide are you still guiding? Any other recommendations for a guided backcountry hunt, I don't think the state really matters to him.

tttoadman

Very Active Member
Nov 16, 2012
Oregon
I hunted unit 27 this year in sept. I was able to get a little 5x5, but there was only a small scattering of elk in the area I was in. I was north of Loon cr guard station. There are a lot of fresh burns in that area. I would expect some great elk feed in the coming years, as long as the predation doesn't take em out. Saw some decent elk further north during November, but not anything to get all excited about. I would go back on my own. I wouldn't think it would be worth hiring a guide for. If he does, make sure he is physically fit and ready to put some miles on to find em.

newguy220

Jul 12, 2012
Idaho
I crossed path with the Middle Fork guys at Thomas Creek airstrip 2 years ago and got to talk to them for a bit. They still do get into elk every year they said, but the wolves have made it the worst hunting it has ever been. They also said that they use to guide upwards of 30 elk hunters a year, but they only do about 10 a year now because the population is so low. They did seem like good guys and like you would have a fun hunt if you went with them. If I were your friend I would call and talk to them and see what he thinks.

While I was back there sheep hunting, the only thing I saw was one black bear and no deer or elk for 7 days. Seen more wolf tracks than anything. I also didn't have the best conditions, there were two big fires going at the time. One North of me and a close one South of me, which allowed all the smoke to move in and shorten visibility by a lot.

tttoadman is correct about being in shape, it is some of the roughest and most beautiful country I've seen. I can't wait to go back.

newguy220

wapiti66

Aug 21, 2011
Kansas
Again, thanks for the info tttoadman and newguy, I'll pass the word along about the wolves and let him decide from there. Sounds like there are better options to get into elk numbers. As I'm researching some about the area, the pictures look awesome, and rugged. Im pretty sure he will go in great shape, he has recently ran in adventure races and will "buy in" and get in good shape if he does go. Thanks again for your info guys.