Idaho Unit 66A

Donny Land

May 28, 2014
Conroe, Texas, United States
Hello Fella's,

I'm new to the forum, so go easy on me!

A buddy and i plan to do a DIY Archery hunt this year, and i am just looking for a lil info if anyone has any to spare on unit 66A, not looking for anyone's honey holes, just some general information. How is the Elk population in that unit? Wolf Population? Are the roads pretty decent? And i guess like any other public land hunt, you need to get atleast a mile or two off of any road.?.

Thanks in advance

Donny

shedhead

Mar 9, 2011
Utah
Hunted it for the first time last year. Had a good hunt and found elk each day. You wont be alone by any means, but there are elk around most anywhere in the unit it seemed. One piece of advice, put the calls away! Those bulls are very call shy, mainly because most everyone thinks if you run around blowing a hoochie mama or bugle the bulls will come running just like the videos. The elk were vocal, just had zero response to calls in the week I was there. I have a couple friends that have hunted it for 10-12 years and have always said the same things, no calls, just shadow the herd and move in close.

woodtick

Veteran member
Feb 24, 2011
Jim Bridger County, Utah
Hunted it for the first time last year. Had a good hunt and found elk each day. You wont be alone by any means, but there are elk around most anywhere in the unit it seemed. One piece of advice, put the calls away! Those bulls are very call shy, mainly because most everyone thinks if you run around blowing a hoochie mama or bugle the bulls will come running just like the videos. The elk were vocal, just had zero response to calls in the week I was there. I have a couple friends that have hunted it for 10-12 years and have always said the same things, no calls, just shadow the herd and move in close.
Been a long time since I hunted it but what he ^^^ said is some sound advice!!! Roads are great, elk population has always been pretty decent in that area and I've heard there are a few wolves but not over run yet!!

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
as was said, use calls sparingly, alot of freaking people but also alot of hunting area. ps dont park truck infront of anyones tent... just dont please i beg you:cool: wanna avoid corwds? go early in sep, you will find the bulls breaking up from thier groups and they will be very vocal but caling wont get them to come in. tree stand or wallo sitting and stalking are the way to go in this unit. pm me and i can point ya in some good directions. good luck. lots of black bears too. more wolve in thiere than is allowed to be believed too.