Idaho Super Tag in Hand

270wshooter

Jun 19, 2019
I finally pulled one of these and excited to say the least. I have access on a good ranch in 39 so Ill start there and also have seen some good ones in 46. The wildcard right now is 38...seems to be some good ones out there. Any valuable information anyone would like to share? Are the goats in 38 down by the river or more up towards the stage stop? Accessible on public ground?

Any and all information is appreciated.

Reactions: ivorytip

87TT

Very Active Member
Apr 23, 2013
Idaho
I guess getting that tag you have brag on it a little but first post rub it in and then ask for help?

270wshooter

Jun 19, 2019
Not trying to rub it in at all and "don't need help" to kill a good goat. 38 is a new hunt that opened a couple years ago - not a lot of intel on and was just trying to get a good idea of what part of the unit - north or south to start scouting on. Just seeing if anyone out there had any insite on it. Between now and the September rifle opener, I plan to log 20 plus days scouting and trying to locate 4-5 shooter bucks and cover as much country as I can.

I probably will never draw this tag again, and there are legitimately 5-6 units I could focus in on - just trying to collect all the information/data I can to make this hunt truly special. I live in the Treasure Valley - so 38 is in my backyard, I ll put my due diligence into it.

Reactions: dougw

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I finally pulled one of these and excited to say the least. I have access on a good ranch in 39 so Ill start there and also have seen some good ones in 46. The wildcard right now is 38...seems to be some good ones out there. Any valuable information anyone would like to share? Are the goats in 38 down by the river or more up towards the stage stop? Accessible on public ground?

No help from me, but good luck!

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho

suweet! congrats!

some up above the snake river cliffs from swan falls dam south to simplots feed yard by Grandview. have seen some decent ones over the years in 38. I personally prefer 39 though.
and yes 46 is worth a look ,. there's a lot of country out there and a lot of goats.
I won't go into any more detail then that on open forum but you can pm me if you have ???s. I might be able to point you to a few spots to scout.

some dandies in 41 also, lots of goats from about 10 miles north of Grasmere clear to duck valley, both sides of highway

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I guess getting that tag you have brag on it a little but first post rub it in and then ask for help?
if I drew that tag ,I would tell all who would listen and take any help I could find. cut the guy some slack , he's excited.;) as would I be.

Reactions: marcusvdk

dougw

Jul 3, 2019
Not trying to rub it in at all and "don't need help" to kill a good goat. 38 is a new hunt that opened a couple years ago - not a lot of intel on and was just trying to get a good idea of what part of the unit - north or south to start scouting on. Just seeing if anyone out there had any insite on it. Between now and the September rifle opener, I plan to log 20 plus days scouting and trying to locate 4-5 shooter bucks and cover as much country as I can.

I probably will never draw this tag again, and there are legitimately 5-6 units I could focus in on - just trying to collect all the information/data I can to make this hunt truly special. I live in the Treasure Valley - so 38 is in my backyard, I ll put my due diligence into it.
.270- congrats on the draw, you'll have a blast. When does your hunt start? You've had some 70 deg days already (cool by pronghorn standards). I've never done ID but it sounds like a lot of fun. Good luck and let us know.....

270wshooter

Jun 19, 2019
To date I have spent over 20 days scouting...Have turned up hundreds of bucks and quite a few good ones. 1 or 2 that are on the borderline of being supertag worthy(78-80"), but have not found that slam dunk no doubter. Archery seasons are running now and technically I could hunt those, but I am not a archery hunter. The rifle seasons open Sept 25th and run through Oct 24th.

I may head out to some desolate desert areas along the Nevada border that I got some intel on to change it up and see whats living out in those badlands...

Reactions: gonhunting247