Idaho OTC Elk

CAhunter

Mar 8, 2012
Fellas,
I was considering an archery elk hunt in Idaho this fall but am unable to commit to the draw hunts so I was thinking about going OTC. Can I buy an "A" tag when I arrive in the state or do I have to buy it ahead of time? Also, are the "A" tags unit specific? It looks like they are. Thank you for any replies and if anyone is willing to discuss a couple of units I had looked into via PM I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks, Brian

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
Elk tags are zone specific. You dont have to buy a tag ahead of time but some zones have caps on tags and they could sell out if you wait too long.

Laddy

Nov 19, 2013
Idaho
Just like what Musket Man said; tags are zone specific which contain a number of units within them.

For future knowledge non-resi elk tags (both A And B) go on sale January 1st, and a few sell out. Most guys committed to hunting elk here will buy an OTC tag early, put in a controlled application, and if drawn exchange the OTC for the controlled tag.

Here's the link for general interest:

https://fishandgame.idaho.gov/content/license/nonresidentTagAvailability

Good luck.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
I bought a 2nd elk tag in elk season last year. That means they were not sold out during the season.
residents can buy a 2nd tag at non resident rate as long as the elk tags are not sold out or quotas are met. the wilderness areas usually sell out of there quota, but the rest of the state, not as much.

CAhunter

Mar 8, 2012
Thank you guys for the information. The area I was thinking about looks to average about a 20% success rate the last few years for archery. For a OTC hunt is that about as good as it gets? Thanks, Brian