Idaho bears?

A.j.

Jun 18, 2014
Wheeling West Virginia
Hey fellas heading into Idaho this June for bears, hunt starts June 20th. I'm pretty excited about it, but was wondering what kind of bear behavior to expect??, I feel like it's a little on the late side but it's the earliest I could get there. Has Anyone tango'd with black bears mid to late June ??

newguy220

Jul 12, 2012
Idaho
I'm done hunting by the first of June, so I can't tell you much. When we've been camping towards the end of June we have seen the occasional boar chasing a sow still.

newgu220

woodtick

Veteran member
Feb 24, 2011
Jim Bridger County, Utah
Honestly I wouldn't waste my time after June 1st!! unless your baiting and I don't know the full regs on that. If it's spot and stalk the early-mid May have been the best for me, what area are you looking into going??

A.j.

Jun 18, 2014
Wheeling West Virginia
Oh don't tell me that woodtick! Lol ... I booked a hunt with sawtooth wilderness outfitters In central Idaho , I've got friends and family wanting to elk/deer hunt Idaho and I was craving a bear hunt so I'm using this hunt as an Idaho ice breaker I guess you could say

woodtick

Veteran member
Feb 24, 2011
Jim Bridger County, Utah
Oh don't tell me that woodtick! Lol ... I booked a hunt with sawtooth wilderness outfitters In central Idaho , I've got friends and family wanting to elk/deer hunt Idaho and I was craving a bear hunt so I'm using this hunt as an Idaho ice breaker I guess you could say
Haha bud don't get to worried I'm just speaking from personal experiences. I know the outfit your going with has a great harvest record and they have done for a long time. I hunt northern ID so the geography and ecosystems are different. That's the reason I asked where you were going, I have a friend who hunts over in the Boise area and they kill bears up until the season closes.

A.j.

Jun 18, 2014
Wheeling West Virginia
Thats a good thing to know, if I ever do it myself in a northern Idaho unit I'll be sure to get there in May. Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the info guys, come June I'll be learning first hand

roknHS

Sep 25, 2014
North Idaho, Tick Fever Country
Spring bears, mid April-end of May, are more active in the open feeding on new grass, bugs and what ever they can find from winter kills. June bears will be harder to find, unless they're working a bait, and there is a high probability the hide will have rub spots that will make it worthless for a rug mount.
The sooner you can get a bear out of hibernation, the better chance you'll get a premium hide. I don't know what part of the bear you intend to keep.............don't count on a bear rug.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
you will be fine. some areas you can't get into until june.
Here is a 6'4 bear killed june 10 th in a very wet rain storm. we couldn't get up to the ridgetop do to 5 feet of snow still.
IMG_0965.jpg

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
same bear on the wall, real nice pelt, he was eating grass. I don't even think of bears until june. to much snow to get around in april or may and I am still snowmobiling.
IMG_0296.jpg