Ice Breaker merino wool

NorthT

Jul 24, 2012
Has anyone used any of this stuff before?? Found some on sale in local climbing store. Have been looking for cheaper alternative to first lite stuff.

Kevin Root

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2011
San Jose, California
web.me.com
I use Icebreaker merino wool products, underwear and shirts and they are awesome products in the years I've had them. I find them soft similar to cotton with the wool benefits. Merino wool has a natural bacteria resistance so you can wear them for a week and have little to no stink on the shirts. That means for me that I'm not having to pack extra shirts on a trip :). I can wear the one on a whole trip and I'm fine as far as the stink goes.

Typically I've found they are a bit more cost than some of the other brands out there so if you found a good price on sale that's awesome NorthT.

NorthT

Jul 24, 2012
I was looking at the 260 top and 200 bottoms on sale for 35% off but still pricey. I just hate ordering things offline without seeing them first or hearing about it. Have you had any experience with first lite? Wondered how they compare but from what i can tell the FL doesnt come in different weights like the IB.

Kevin Root

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2011
San Jose, California
web.me.com
I was looking at the 260 top and 200 bottoms on sale for 35% off but still pricey. I just hate ordering things offline without seeing them first or hearing about it. Have you had any experience with first lite? Wondered how they compare but from what i can tell the FL doesnt come in different weights like the IB.
I have some First Lite too in a head balaclava and I like it too but I have more of the Icebreaker. I saw Icebreaker Merino wool shirts get some awards in Backpacker magazine years back, got some back then and love it for backpacking. I like the different weights too. I use lighter weight in summer and it works well in hot and cold weather. I have some heavier weight stuff for winter too. I think the only drawback has been price but it is a good product and it wears well.

I hear a lot of good reviews from folks for First Lite and I'm sure some will chime in here on the thread so I don't think you would go wrong with either product.

NorthT

Jul 24, 2012
Oh i like the look of it for sure until i get to the tags ha just wanted a comparsion.

dihardhunter

Jul 27, 2012
Columbus, OH
www.skinnymoose.com
Icebreaker is some great stuff but way overpriced IMHO. You can get great merino clothing articles from brands like Stoic, Terramar, and a few others for way cheaper and you're never going to know the difference. If you got a great deal though, that's awesome. Check backcountry.com and steepandcheap.com. If you don't mind goofy aftermarket colors (and I don't know why it would matter for baselayer purposes), you can get boxers for around $15, bottoms and tops for under $30.

NorthT

Jul 24, 2012
I just actually found to terramar stuff on campsaver.com. Looks good and has good reviews. The only reason i asked about ice breaker ws due to sale but by all means cheaper sounds better to me as long as its quality stuff. Dont matter whose name is on it. Do you like the terramar?

dihardhunter

Jul 27, 2012
Columbus, OH
www.skinnymoose.com
I do. I've had experience with the lighter weight merino tops and bottoms but check sierratradingpost.com. I have gotten tops and bottoms for around $20 before when they sent out special % off coupons in their emails. You WILL NOT beat that price.

Chippy Hacky

Jul 21, 2012
Thanks for the great ideas guys. I am in the process of poking around and seeing what else is out there, Tagged!

Fredharris

Jan 9, 2013
Merino wool is very soft and comfortable and If your are planning for a trip then it will be more comfortable for you to carry the merino wool T shirts. The merino wool T shirts are little expensive but it will give you more comfort compared to the normal T shirts in the trip. Which place are you planning to go..?