I saved this baby calf elk from a pack of Coyotes

Huntography

Jan 1, 2013
Thanks @hardstalk! Great memories indeed. Doing my part to help the local elk population as the numbers could be higher for this area.

Rudy

Kevin Root

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2011
San Jose, California
web.me.com
That's a cool story Rudy. I'm glad you were there to help out the little guy. Like you wrote coyotes need to eat too but I kind of like the thought of seeing him grow up a bit and perhaps you will get the chance to hunt him one day when he is all grown up. Thanks for posting the story.

I've seen my share of animals becoming prey out my way but never really been in a place to pitch in like you did. I see more of the aftermath from predator prey contact. I saw this guy's aftermath while hiking out on the coast. There's a lot of Great White sharks out my way on the coast in the "Red Triangle" for instance. Nature can be and is pretty brutal but it's a way of life out there and it's a real reality out there in the wild. :)

Last edited:

Huntography

Jan 1, 2013
Thanks Kevin! Hopefully that little guy grows up and gives someone a hunt of a lifetime.

Thanks for sharing your pics and story too. Amazing to see Mother Nature at work. Sometimes we can just watch whole other times we have a chance to be a part of it in some way.

Rudy

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I drove out in ! of my hay fields years ago at night. I saw some deer and what I thought was 2 fawnes running around playing. I speedup to get a closer look in the headlights and it turned out to be a coyote chasing a fawn trying to kill it. When I drove up the coyote ran off and I couldnt get a shot at him but it saved the fawn!

trkytrack2

Sep 13, 2011
Sterling, Colorado
I've sat in on a few CPW meetings here in Colorado and many of the Department members have been saying the same thing for years and years.....their research indicates that coyotes have very little impact on deer and elk babies. Wonder if any of their researchers have ever spent any actual time in the outdoors away from their classroom computers? Hmmm?

packer58

Very Active Member
Aug 24, 2011
Loma Rica, Ca.
A month or so ago I was bass fishing at Bullards Bar Res and saw this yearling out in the middle not looking to good, so I got a little closer to check it out. The little $hit was floundering around and I didn't think she was going to make to the bank so I pulled up along side of her with my trolling motor and grabbed her by the ears. She went relaxed and did not struggle all the way to shore that was probably 7 to 8 hundred yards. She could barely crawl up on the bank from exhaustion.

20130515_111156.jpg

20130515_111821.jpg

MSUcat61

Apr 7, 2011
ABQ, NM
A month or so ago I was bass fishing at Bullards Bar Res and saw this yearling out in the middle not looking to good, so I got a little closer to check it out. The little $hit was floundering around and I didn't think she was going to make to the bank so I pulled up along side of her with my trolling motor and grabbed her by the ears. She went relaxed and did not struggle all the way to shore that was probably 7 to 8 hundred yards. She could barely crawl up on the bank from exhaustion.

View attachment 5820

View attachment 5821
That's crazy!

packer58

Very Active Member
Aug 24, 2011
Loma Rica, Ca.
That's crazy!
Yes it is, I fish this res for the "large spotted bass" quite a bit in the spring. Ive seen 4 or 5 deer in the water over the last couple years and just usually hang around until they get to the bank ..........all have made it under there own power except possibly this one.

Triple BB

Jun 22, 2013
Wyoming
Was staying at my uncles ranch years ago when I was a kid. My uncle comes driving over and sez get in. We drive off to the edge of his alfalfa field and the neighbors dog had killed a fawn deer. My uncle pulls out his rifle, lays over the hood and dumps the dog. Said that's the last one of my deer he'll be killing. We went and threw the dog in a ditch. Didn't know whether to cry or be excited...