I need a little help from Idaho elk hunters

jbdmax

Nov 28, 2012
American Fork, UT
Hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum and hate to start out with a thread asking for help but I'm gonna swallow my pride and ask anyway! I'm part of a group of utah boys that are pretty die hard coyote hunters. Recently I've gotten the bug to go after some wolves and the more I've read up on them the more I realize most of you would like them gone as much or more than I do ;). So my question is, where would the best place be to hunt in Idaho? I have no interest in hunting elk so please don't mistake this as a ploy to get at your honey holes! If you have an abundance of wolves in your stomping grounds and would like to see a handful of them go missing then feel free to share. I took a trip up there last weekend and didn't realize it was the last weekend of your elk hunt. It was like trying to hunt in walmart, people everywhere!! So needless to say the trip was a bust but I'll be heading back up in about 2 weeks and would like to have a prettty good game plan this time. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance,
Josh

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
jbdmax,

Welcome to the forum. I have never hunted in Idaho but if I were wanting to, I'd start trying to find out who the cattle and sheep ranchers are in Idaho. Then I would call them and let them know you are interested in hunting just wolves. Idaho fish and game biologists might point you in the right direction. Some of their game wardens might also.

Good luck with it.

packer58

Very Active Member
Aug 24, 2011
Loma Rica, Ca.
Josh, welcome to eastmans forum. You might get on the Idaho fish & game website and look at the gray wolf population density maps. I was hunting whitetail up in the Grangeville / Whitebird are and saw plenty of sign and heard a few howls in the evenings.

jbdmax

Nov 28, 2012
American Fork, UT
Thanks for the quick replies! I'll try and track down some ranchers in the areas I have been looking at and see if they are willing to help me out! I'll keep you guys updated on whatever I can find out!