I love Merriams

cking13

May 20, 2017
VA
Got a chance to head back to one of my favorite places this spring and chase merriams. They got 14 inches of snow the day I got there, with drifts 2-3 feet in some places. I was unable to get into my spot in SD or WY the entire week, so I had to audible to the southern portion where I’ve never been. I ate my wyoming tag, but was able to fill my SD tag on the final day. One of the toughest weeks of turkey hunting I’ve had. Heard only a handful of gobbles until the final day and wasn’t seeing much sign. I tried a new spot the final morning after the weather broke and heard 8 birds on one road. I set up on three of them at first light, but they had hens with them that led them away faster than I could circle around. I drove around to another road that just happened to be through the forest of where those three were. I walked in a bit and hit the call. One loud gobble up on a ridge let me know he was there. As I got closer I could hear his hens with him, so I put my calls away and tried the mountain lion approach. I was able to sneak up behind him while he was strutting to 35 yards or so and put a shot on him. Not the way I like to do it, but desperate times and desperate measures. The black hills remain one of my favorite places on the planet.

Attachments