Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
"(v) while hunting if the hunting is legal in all places where the
person to whom the firearm is transferred possesses the firearm and
the person to whom the firearm is transferred has completed all
training and holds all licenses or permits required for such hunting"

Basically if your friend wants to borrow your gun for a hunt you have to take it to and pick it up from the unit they are hunting in.

"The temporary transfer of a firearm (i) between spouses or
domestic partners; (ii) if the temporary transfer occurs, and the
firearm is kept at all times, at an established shooting range
authorized by the governing body of the jurisdiction in which such
range is located;"

You have to take your gun to the range to let a friend shoot it. I believe this also makes it illegal to let a friend shoot your gun on private property since it does not meet either of the above definitions.

"(1) "Antique firearm" means a firearm or replica of a firearm not
designed or redesigned for using rim fire or conventional center fire
ignition with fixed ammunition and manufactured in or before 1898,
including any matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of
ignition system and also any firearm using fixed ammunition
manufactured in or before 1898, for which ammunition is no longer
manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the
ordinary channels of commercial trade."

This makes almost all guns that are not muzzle loaders no longer considered antique

"Notwithstanding the penalty provisions in this chapter, any person
knowingly violating section 3 of this act is guilty of a gross
misdemeanor punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW. If a person
previously has been found guilty under this section, then the person
is guilty of a class C felony punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW for
each subsequent knowing violation of section 3 of this act. A person
is guilty of a separate offense for each and every gun sold or
transferred without complying with the background check requirements
of section 3 of this act."

I sometimes loan my girlfriends father who is a shooting instructor a shotgun when they are short for a class. Now this it illegal and if I loaned it to him twice I could be convicted of a felony and have all my guns taken away.

This is a huge win for the anti gun crowd and we allowed it to happen by not voting. In the county I live in, which I feel is a very pro gun county, just over 1/2 of the votes were for it with only 1/2 of registered voters voting. I know it seems like the rural parts of WA dont have a say in things because of the population in the western part of the state but 1/2 of why we dont get a say is because we dont vote. This is the first gun control measure passed by popular vote and it has set the stage for other states to follow. The more states that get laws like this passed the closer we are to federal regs like this. There is also no way to enforce laws like this without gun registration....

Last edited:

canvsbk

Apr 8, 2012
Michigan
It makes me wonder about proof of ownership with long guns. With a handgun you generally have some kind of registration card or something but a shotgun - not so much.
So how could they enforce such a law? If "they" needed to know the true ownership of say a 700 remington .30-06 "they" would have quite a bit of research to do through ATF and state agencies to find out. Unless I misunderstand this new law I see it as unenforceable.
It's unfortunate but the media and our representatives at state, local and national levels really don't understan the procedures involved with a firearm purchase.
Where I'm from its against the law to loan a handgun. Not difficult to enforce because of the little registration card you have. A shotgun is altogether different.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
The part about loaning someone a gun or selling your gun to someone you know without going through a dealer is completely unenforceable without gun registration since there is no way to prove you didnt sell it to them before these laws took effect and is why I am worried the next step will be registration.