Hydration Bladder question

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I have a Badlands Ultra Day pack I picked up this year and love it. I added a hydration bladder to it, also a Badlands. The plasitc taste of the water is horrible! I've used other before and don't remember of the taste being so strong. Any tricks? I've rinsed with hot water, ran 4-5 full bags of water through thinking maybe it was the water hose still the taste remains. Thanx for any input.

cali_hornhunter

Jun 17, 2011
Red Bluff Ca
i use the hydration bladders that come from cabelas that came with their day backs and now use them in my eberlestock and i just rinse them out and air dry them for a few days but maybe it could be different materials or i know camelbak makes tablets for cleaning bladders maybe check that out

ID_MW

Apr 17, 2011
Central ID
If you look at the inside of the bladder and it has a "slick" appearance, you might try adding a hot water and dish soap through the system. Thermoplastics like Polyurethane,Polyethylene and Ethylene Co-polymers (like EVA) can sometimes have an oily residue left behind following the molding process. You could also try a solution of either heavily salted water, or baking soda and water through the system. I haven't used a Badlands hydration bladder, but have used Camelbak and Platypus systems (prefer platypus, except in really cold situations), and haven't had to deal with the "plastic" taste; although I am pretty sure when I bought them they both said to wash and rinse thoroughly before use. Good luck; I hate that chemical taste. It would be a bummer if you have to ditch the bladder just to spend more cash on a new one.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Thanx ID I've used Camelbak before. With no taste issues I think I'm gonna buy a another and ditch this one. I might try the tabs first though.

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
I ran vinegar and water through mine(badlands) and it seemed to work to get the plastic taste out. I run this solution through it at the end of my hunting year and let dry. When you fill it back up drain it once and the vinegar taste is gone.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I ran vinegar and water through mine(badlands) and it seemed to work to get the plastic taste out. I run this solution through it at the end of my hunting year and let dry. When you fill it back up drain it once and the vinegar taste is gone.
You would think Badlands would have figured out that the taste in their bladders and would have done something about it. Glad to hear it wasn't just me.