Hurricane Ian

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Hi Guys, we got smacked by Ian but in an underwater way. We have flooding from SW FL to NE FL - the St Johns River runs north and enters the sea at Jacksonville, slowing the draining of a lot of acreage. We have a couple main roads that cross the St Johns Rv, SR 50 is about 12 inches from being overwhelmed. SR 46 is well flooded.

There is a park near our house and it has a dock-like walkway through it - it sits about 4-5 ft up to the floor boards. The hand rails are just barely out of the water. Incredible.

My place got about 12 inches of rain in 1 day. My Dad's got about 19 inches of rain. Winds were 40-60 for us.

My cuz is down closer to where it made landfall and they had 100-120 mph gusts. Think they lost 20 shingles. I offered to pick some up and head down (3.5-4 hr drive) to help put them on. Crickets.

Many hunting areas along the St Johns are closed due to flooding. They don't want folks driving on the saturated ground & tearing stuff up, and there may be some trees down.

As of right now, I'm not sure if my 2 quota hunts will happen - first weekend of Nov and 2nd weekend of Nov. Also haven't been able to scout - did a 4.5 mile walk the weekend before the hurricane and watched a huntable field from the road this past Saturday - saw 2 fawns and a small buck, 3 turkeys, and a caracara bird.

Still have about 3.5 weeks for the water to recede to huntable levels. I know some folks have real problems, gonna be a while before things get back to normal down there - praying that it will be sooner than later.

Caracara.jpg

Reactions: buckbull

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Bummer to hear about all of it for everyone involved! I hope life is able to get back to normal as quickly as possible! And that you get to hunt a bit too!

Reactions: Rich M

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
My college friend lives/lived in Fort Myers. His place was ok but his boats are beyond repair.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
My oldest lives in Tampa. He missed the bad stuff thankfully. Have another person I know if Fort Myers - they lost their business and their home. Rough storm for sure.

• Sad
Reactions: buckbull

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Incredible what the storms can do - the one that hit Mexico Beach a couple years back erased a bunch of houses and put 30+ ft boats 1/4 to 1/2 mile inland.

I love the beach but don't want to live on it.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Incredible what the storms can do - the one that hit Mexico Beach a couple years back erased a bunch of houses and put 30+ ft boats 1/4 to 1/2 mile inland.

I love the beach but don't want to live on it.
My sentiment exactly. I really enjoy getting to go out fishing, doing beach days with the family, etc. However the storms that they can have there are no fun.

Reactions: Rich M

Finsandtines

Very Active Member
Jun 16, 2015
Florida
My oldest lives in Tampa. He missed the bad stuff thankfully. Have another person I know if Fort Myers - they lost their business and their home. Rough storm for sure.
I am across the bridge in St. Pete and we had a few inches of rain and up to 75 mph winds, limited damage. Got lucky for sure! Folks an hour south did not fare well at all.