Hunting Practical Jokes

Jerry

Feb 21, 2011
Joseph Or
How many of you have a sick sense of humor side! What kind of jokes/pranks have you played on your friends or families?

Many years ago, my brother and I were elk hunting with my high school age daughter who was/is slightly gullible. We had been on a long morning hunt and stopped to have a bite to eat on the side of an old logging skid road. One of my brothers favorite snacks are dates, which if you think about it looks rather like an elk dropping. So anyway, where we stopped just happened to have a large pile of elk droppings at his feet. Without my daughter realizing it, he palmed a date and also picked up an elk pellet. As he was examining the pellet he started this story about how the indians of the area from the olden days would eat the pellets as a kind of vitamin. We were "discussing" this when he wondered out loud what they tasted like. I of course encouraged him to taste one to find out. Meanwhile my daughter is sitting there watching and listening to this with a mix of interest and disgust when my brother hiding the pellet, popped the palmed date into his mouth and started munching away and calmly asked my daughter if she wanted to try one! She found a renewed interest in her sandwich and mumbled no thank you! When the joke was up and she hit both of us and had a good laugh.

What stories do you have?

beav906

Apr 18, 2011
Bend, OR
Lol. I remember my uncles pulling alot if similar jokes. In high school I was out hunting and I received a voicemail when we bounced into service. It was my mom and said to call her soon.i could hear the excitement in her voice i gave her a jingle and sure enough she had good news. She had gotten 2- four point bucks! Boy i was excited and proud of her. So I rushed home to help. Bout the time I got to the house i called and told her id be there to help with the skinning and she notified me it was done. She s rather handy with a knife but i was still a bit surprised. Upon getting to the house I drive right passed and swung my headlights on the gamble. To my surprise there was not a side of meat there, just two crisp one dollar bills! (2 four point bucks!)

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
What I used to do a lot (in my younger days of course!!) was when a bunch of us were dove hunting, was to drop a black powder loaded shotgun shell in on of our hunters ammo bag. I was a hoot to see their face when they loaded it and shot at a dove. So much smoke you couldn't see the bird or anything. We all got a great laugh out of it. Guess i've outgrown that now, even tho i shoot lots of BP Cowboy Shooting.

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
I've got a friend that when you are supposed to meet somewhere to compare notes, he will hide and let you look for him, and then jump out and scare the crap out of you. At midday when he is asleep I get back at him by filling his pack with rocks, or his boots with pine cones. Good times.

6mm Remington

Very Active Member
Mar 27, 2011
Western Montana
When I was first starting out hunting, I recall my dad doing this to me a couple of times. We had hunted elk hard in the morning and had walked a lot. In the afternoon we were driving to another area to hike some more. I would sit in the middle with my dad driving and his brother-in-law sitting in the passenger seat of our Dodge 3/4 ton pickup. Of course being a kid, I would get tired after having gotten up at 5:00 AM to go out, and with all the hiking, there were times I would close my eyes just for a minute or two and check to make sure the backs of the eyelids were okay.

He would slam on the brakes, yell there's one, and jump out with his rifle like he had just seen an elk. Of course it was all fun and games..............for someone at least!

Another time, I think it was my first year of hunting when I was 12. We came around a corner and I did not see the last Hereford cow walk out of sight as they had just crossed the road. My dad said there were some fresh tracks on the road and he stopped the truck. He told me to get my rifle and follow them slowly as he thought they might be very close. I went about 30 yards and went up over a little rise following diligently on these "elk tracks" not knowing any better. I came over this rise, we were on Forest Service land, and there they were! I pulled up my rifle as it happened so fast. I wish I would have had thought at that split second to fire into the dirt on the hillside and start yelling, " I got him, I got him!" , because I think the joke would have been on them at that point.

Wait a second, these are supposed to be pranks we pull on others. Well I never.........:eek:

David

Jerry

Feb 21, 2011
Joseph Or
We have had so many...............
A good one for kids around a campfire.
Find a winter kill deer hear with antlers attached, rig with monofilament so it will swing (FLY) over a campfire and proceed to tell the story of the ghost deer and at the climax of your story have a cohort cut the line so it flies over the campfire. It is sure to get more than a few shrieks!

hardstalk

Veteran member
Sep 13, 2011
vegas
I was out once while the rest of camp was taking an afternoon snooze in the camp trailer along my travels i cornered a badger on accident. They get pretty nasty when cornered. He charged. I shot. Dead badger. I was like 12 at the time. I brought the badger back to camp. Twiddled my thumbs for a bit while everyone slept. Then dug a good size hole just in front of the steps of the trailer. Buried all but the head of the badger facing the trailer. Took a stick and pried the mouth open. Sat back and watched 3 grown men jump scream and run as they walked out for the evening hunt.

velvetfvr

Veteran member
May 6, 2012
Nv
I was out once while the rest of camp was taking an afternoon snooze in the camp trailer along my travels i cornered a badger on accident. They get pretty nasty when cornered. He charged. I shot. Dead badger. I was like 12 at the time. I brought the badger back to camp. Twiddled my thumbs for a bit while everyone slept. Then dug a good size hole just in front of the steps of the trailer. Buried all but the head of the badger facing the trailer. Took a stick and pried the mouth open. Sat back and watched 3 grown men jump scream and run as they walked out for the evening hunt.
That's funny! Me and my uncle were doing a joke where all of a sudden we would slam on the brakes, jump out of the truck and act like we were shooting a monster and man would my parents get excited! Also we were elk hunting and my brother was told by my grandpa to taste the poop to see how fresh it was. So we dumped some whoppers out and told my brother and ate them! The look on his face was priceless!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigSurArcher

Very Active Member
Mar 3, 2011
N. CA
I like to play jokes all the time, many of which shouldn't be posted on a public forum. But last year my buddies and I got our hands on a nudist magazine... it exchanges hands pretty often (we steal it from each other). Each time one of us gets it we cut out the grossest photo left and fold it up and hide it real well somewhere in on of the other's hunting gear so they don't come across it until their somewhere out in the field. Last year in Nevada at 10,000 ft. I came across a picture of a hairy naked old man when I opened up my Wyoming saw pouch to quarter up my buck before packing him off the mountain. I definitely got a good laugh. Ben (BenHuntin on here) did it... and boy does he have a good one waiting for him...

hardstalk

Veteran member
Sep 13, 2011
vegas
We do something similar at work. Well take a napkin write a random girls name and number on it and sneak it into their lunch box before they head home. We all hope the wife finds it first. Only happened twice so far. One time we went as far as to throw some panties in a guys lunch box. He came to work the next day ready to fight.

Drhorsepower

Veteran member
May 19, 2011
Reno, Nevada, United States
We do something similar at work. Well take a napkin write a random girls name and number on it and sneak it into their lunch box before they head home. We all hope the wife finds it first. Only happened twice so far. One time we went as far as to throw some panties in a guys lunch box. He came to work the next day ready to fight.

That reminds me of when my dad ran a guide service out of Reno, his clients came from all over the U.S., for some reason, my dad had this huge cookie jar of matchbooks from mustang ranch brothel. On every out of town client, he'd sneak a few of them here and there in their luggage! He had some explaining to a few wives!

Drhorsepower

Veteran member
May 19, 2011
Whenever my uncle picks up someone else's rifle, he takes the caps off the scope after a few minutes of inspecting the weapon, he acts like he is adjusting the scope, when the person freaks out and say, "what the @$%# are you doing?", he replies,"your scope looks off so I'm adjusting it for you". It is particularly funny in deer camp because you see that heart sunken look like, this really just happened. After he informs them of the joke, they always look at the scope is if trying to remember where the slit or notch was prior to handing the weapon off. Funny stuff.

When I was on the hotshots, some dude put some rocks in a guys pack, I thought they were going to go at it right there! Note to self, NEVER put rocks in someone's pack. Talk about jokes, being in wild land, that's all it is! We used to flip every night to do stupid or crazy things. We were flown into this fire in Idaho, they flew in some food and water\ Gatorade for us and for some reason, they flew up a friggin crapload of apple juice, so we all flipped on who had to drink one of those juice boxes of apple juice every 15 minutes. Second loser had to carry them all day. It was down to myself and another guy, I ended up having to carry two cases and deliver a carton to him every 15 minutes, by ten o clock, that guy was an apple and threw in the towel. He crapped his pants like 5 times! Another note to self, do not drink juice boxes full of apple juices every 15 minutes for 3 hours. Good times, the bad part for me is my pack didn't get any lighter all day :(

kcaves

Jun 3, 2011
wyoming
When I was 12 or 13, I would be elk hunting with my dad, we would be going up a ridge, he would stop to catch his breath and I was 5 to 10 yards behind him, when I would catch up he would take off up the ridge again. Really pissed me off until I figured it out. Now the tables have turned, I became a great endurance runner and went from 5'7" to 6'3". He doesn't even bother hunting with me anymore

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?olthpr

Drhorsepower

Veteran member
May 19, 2011
When I was 12 or 13, I would be elk hunting with my dad, we would be going up a ridge, he would stop to catch his breath and I was 5 to 10 yards behind him, when I would catch up he would take off up the ridge again. Really pissed me off until I figured it out. Now the tables have turned, I became a great endurance runner and went from 5'7" to 6'3". He doesn't even bother hunting with me anymore

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?olthpr
My dad used to do that crap too!!!!

bigmoose

Jan 2, 2012
Yerington Nevada
It was opening day of the third deer season in Colorado and I heard my buddy shoot. I stayed where I was for an hour or so and then headed his way to see what he had killed. When I arrived he had just halved the buck. It was a heavy horned 4X4 a little over 30 inches wide, a real monster and his biggest ever. I helped him drag the halves across the snow into the quakies. I told him I'd cape the buck out if he would get our pack frames back at the truck. As I started working on the buck I looked up and saw him heading back the way he came. I chuckled to myself and finished with the job at hand. I grabbed the cape and head and took off for the truck. He had gotten the pack frames and was going back the way he came. I left the head in the back of the truck and beat him back to the meat. In a few minutes he showed up with the pack frames and immediately asked where the head was. I told him a couple guys had held me a gun point and took it! I was just now getting untied. The expression on his face was priceless! I started laughing and he knew the jig was up! He could not believe that I could have gone to the truck and back before him. Still makes me chuckle! His buck scored 194 and is still the biggest he has ever taken.

revcwood

Aug 31, 2011
Wisconsin
I grew up in San Antonio, deer hunting is south Texas. There was this old shack that we would hunt out of sometimes - it was leftover from when the farm had migrant workers - a little 8x10 shack with a bunk. Well, one day we killed a rattlesnake on the way to the blind, and skinned it out in the blind, leaving the head on the bunk (out of the way) and forgetting about it. The next morning, my dad's buddy was going to hunt in that blind, and about 45 minutes before light, you heard a scream and 2 quick pistol shots...he found the head at eye level - in his headlamp...oops.

revcwood

Aug 31, 2011
Wisconsin
Another funny one was from I guy I worked with when I was still in school. His hunting partner would always fall asleep in the layout blind while goose hunting. Kurt decided it would be funny to chamber a 12ga flare in the sleeping friend's gun, and wake him up by calling the shot...wish I could have seen that one.

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
I have two friends in Az. I archery elk and deer hunt with often. One of them especially I always put rocks in his pack sometimes a few small ones or one big one in the bottom of his pack. He'll come back to camp and say real funny azzhole ! I like to put elk turds in all his pack pockets and coat pockets if I can get to it. I check my pack for rocks/payback all the time. They haven't got me yet...Once when I was hunting bighorn here in Ca. , we were walking back to truck at end of they day and we were tired. My friend was in front of me. He was older than Me. The top of his pack was unzipped. For about 4 miles I had got somthing like 14 palm sized rocks in his pack. He never said anything about the weight. I thought he would notice when he took his pack off at the truck. Didn't . He found them when he emptied his pack inside the house. I sat there watching him take them out one by one. He had a good sense of humor but I actually felt bad afterwards that I did it... He added them to his collection outside.