Hunting near Salt Lake

Ca_Vermonster

Apr 1, 2016
So, just finished up touring U of Utah, my son is 100% committed to going. Now, I know it will take some figuring out in the big game book, but in general, are there places around where he can get an "over the counter" Tag for elk or deer, or get a tag with no points, whatever they call it in Utah, and just grab his gun, go into the wilderness, and try to find a critter?

Is it all draw areas surrounding that area, or is there good amount of game, etc. Also, he's a duck hunter as well, so any duck advice for a new resident would be great.

Thanks for any info you have!

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Just a rough going over.

All deer tags are draw only and for the general season they work on a preference poiin-between. Rifle hunts usually require 2+ points. LE deer tags are draws but work on a hybrid bonus point system. You can draw a tag with 0 points or max points and everywhere inbetween.

General season elk tags are capped for both spike hunts and any bull hunts at 15,000 tags for spikes and 15,000 for any bull. You have to pick one or the other and hunt in units for the tag you have, spike or any bull. They changed something on tags last year but I'm not that familiar with what they did.

One thing is if he archery hunts he can hunt the extended hunt on a archery tag in designated units, these include the majority of hills around SLC. The tag can be for any unit in the state that is obtained through the draw.

Reactions: Ca_Vermonster

Ca_Vermonster

Apr 1, 2016
Thanks Jim. That's a start. So it would be best for him to start grabbing a point this year to begin with?

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
For deer that's a yes, does he archery hunt?

He should also get a LE deer and elk point along with a once in a lifetime point.

Is he a resident now? If so he can put in for:
LE deer or LE elk but not both.
1 OIL animal.

If he is still a non resident he can put in for everything.
LE deer
LE elk
LE pronghorn
OIL bison, moose, goat, and sheep

extended hunt can be some fantastic hunting up in the snow since the bigger bucks will be down and possibly chasing does at that time.