hunting jacket

gman1

Nov 29, 2011
North Dakota
I have been looking at buying a good cold weather hunting jacket ( with hood) and the more I look the more this ol cowboy gets confused as to what to purchase.

So, I need the members assistance on what a good jacket would be? I know I am going to have to get out the checkbook on this one but am willing to cough up the $$ as I am worth it!

Any suggestions would be appreciated as I have always wanted to purchase a good jacket.

Merry Christmas

Gary

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
How heavy of a jacket are you looking for and what kind of activity level are you planning on doing in it?

A few years ago I purchased a jacket system from Cabela's along with a matching set of bibs. It consist of a inner jacket and a external shell which is water proof and insulated. If I am wearing just the jacket I am fine in temperatures down to around zero. If I put the shell on over the top of the jacket and put on the bibs I would be comfortable sleeping in a snow bank completely exposed. However I wouldn't want to have to hike very far in it all.

The one that I purchased is now discontinued but here is a pretty close copy to what I have for the jacket system

http://www.cabelas.com/product/clothing/mens-hunting-clothing/mens-hunting-cold-weather-camo-clothing/mens-cold-weather-camo-coats-parkas/pc/104797080/c/104748480/sc/104274180/i/104049180/cabelas-mens-point-in-parka-with-most-dry-plus-reg/1224698.uts?slotId=2

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
I bought a Kryptek Dalibor II for hunting that I loved enough I kept wearing it for ranch work too. The hood is great at keeping my ears warm while not restricting my vision. I put a puffy jacket under it for real cold weather but it does a decent job of stopping wind. Not sure what you are after exactly but it is something that works for me. Camofire has had them on for $120 a couple times recently.

Daubs

Aug 5, 2016
Nebraska
Cabela's makes good stuff...I'm a bit of a clothing-horder and love, love, love Gore-Tex.

Highly recommend Gore-Tex or similar, as it is waterproof and blocks the wind completely. But they are not as "breathable" as advertised.

I have a Cabela's Gore-Tex / Thinsulate Waterfowl Systems parka. It's a 3-in-1 coat. Gore-Tex Cordura shell with a zip out Thinsulate liner. If I throw on a good merino base layer, then a fleece long sleeve under this parka I'm good in the negative digits. In warmer weather I use the shell only...it's durable and keeps wind off me.

Also have Cabela's MT050 rain wear, Cabela's Silent Suede Dry-Plus / Thinsulate parka and bibs, and probably three other Cabela's jackets / parkas. I keep going back to the Systems parka because of it's durability and flexibility. I did pick up a Cabela's goose-down parka at a sidewalk sale in 2001. Had a small hole in the back...think I paid $15 for it. Wife stitched up the hole and it's been my garage coat ever since. It's one of the few coats that i own that isn't Gore-Tex, but it's super warm.

Shop around and see what fits you best. Sitka / Kuiu and others are going to an "athletic fit." Cabela's brand is more traditional fit...more room. Shop around craigslist and e-bay for used coats...you can get some great deals.

gman1

Nov 29, 2011
North Dakota
Thank you all for the suggestions on the coat question. I will shop around now that I have a few ideas.
Merry Christmas to all of you>

Gman

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
a good work coat and and a good hunting coat are not always the same. also, the days of the heavy coat seem to be gone. lots of layers. puffy coats are great for sitting but are very fragile. I just pile on the layers.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I wear Sitka

I have a 3 layer system for very cold weather, not hiking and hiking.

I have 2 base layer shirts then a down vest. This is what I wear while hiking in cold weather. When I stop to glass or done hiking for the day in my camping area I put on a down jacket over the vest. If the weather is crap and it rains or snows or I need a bit more I put on a Cold Front jacket. The Cold Front has a hood but it’s more like a rain hood. My down jacket has a hood that I wear instead of the jacket hood.

There are many choices from Sitka that can fit your needs.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I prefer a multi layer system. The more layers the better, makes it easy to add or remove a little on the fly, and not get sweaty or cold.

gman1

Nov 29, 2011
North Dakota
Just to let the group know I went with the Sitka hooded jacket and love it. When you live in ND with below temps you need a good jacket and this one fits the bill! I have already had the opportunity to try it out in -20 degree weather and worked great!! Thanks again for the advise.
Now for my next question and I will admit up front that I am a wimp. We are hoping to go on a horseback elk hunt this fall and have been thinking about getting a pair of bike shorts to protect this old guys thighs!! I told you I am wimpy:)
Have any of you tried the bike shorts and if so did they work and what kind should I purchase?

Merry Christmas and happy trails.
Gman

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Just to let the group know I went with the Sitka hooded jacket and love it. When you live in ND with below temps you need a good jacket and this one fits the bill! I have already had the opportunity to try it out in -20 degree weather and worked great!! Thanks again for the advise.
Now for my next question and I will admit up front that I am a wimp. We are hoping to go on a horseback elk hunt this fall and have been thinking about getting a pair of bike shorts to protect this old guys thighs!! I told you I am wimpy:)
Have any of you tried the bike shorts and if so did they work and what kind should I purchase?

Merry Christmas and happy trails.
Gman
Well...the best solution is to get some practice riding a horse beforehand.

Daubs

Aug 5, 2016
Nebraska
Well...the best solution is to get some practice riding a horse beforehand.
^^ Wise words ^^

As a kid, we went to my Uncle's ranch every summer. Always took a while to adjust to being on horses.

I bike a lot now, and have many biking shorts...don't think they would serve you well on horseback.