Hunting in state parks

speezer87

Apr 12, 2017
Does anyone know if I need to buy a state parks pass to hunt in state parks. I want to access an hunting area, i would park on the road in a state park, and hike thru state park land. But I would never be near any facilities, or go through any state park gates or anything.

I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, but figured I'd ask.

Thanks everyone and good luck this fall

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Actually the answer is no. There are some specific state parks that allow waterfowl hunting but none that I know of allow big game hunting.

To better answer your question go to the state park website that you are thinking about and check their hunting regulations and if they are vague then call and talk to a park ranger.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
There is at least one state park that allows big game hunting, Lone Mesa SP just north of Dolores. I worked for them for about 10 years as a volunteer. Hunting is by draw and yes a daily park pass is required. In the op's example the only real answer would be to talk to the head ranger of the park and see what their policy is. The park passes are actually a vehicle pass, so someone entering on foot might not need one.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Colorado has fixed the walk in problem by not setting up any parking outside of the park where you can walk in.

I also believe that I heard a rumble that they are looking at requiring a walk in pass here in the short future.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
There are a number of limited access big game hunting areas on federal, state and county land, most are drawing in addition to have a state tag. Check page 60 of the current reg. booklet.

speezer87

Apr 12, 2017
Thanks guys, i will call the park just to be sure as getting a stupid ticket like that would just be annoying. Each park seems to be managed differently and its better just to be sure for the specific park i am looking at.

1 day closer to elk hunting!