Hunting England, Chinese water deer and muntjac.

hunter25

Very Active Member
Sep 8, 2016
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Just a quick report on the hunt I mentioned in another thread.
I did a quick 6 day vacation with a 4 day hunt an hour outside of London.
Not a physically demanding hunt in any way but was surprised how hard of a time I had getting my muntjac.
Killed a Chinese water deer the first evening then hunted 3 full days getting my muntjac on the final afternoon.
Passed a broken antler one, a couple tiny ones and wasn't fast enough on 1.
Amazing how difficult it is to pick a knee high deer out of the brush.
We did high seat sits. Miles of stalking the Wood lots after getting on the downwind side.
Literally saw dozens of deer daily.
Cwd, muntjac and roe deer. Chinese are the easiest a they will come out in the fields if the sun comes out. Roe not as spooky but not in season.
Muntjac are just high strung and spooky always.
Finally got my buck while calling at noon. He popped out of a hedgerow at about 300 yards and snuck up to a100 for a shot off sticks.
He gave me the doe an hour later as a free cull and just to keep hunting for fun.
Overall a great fun hunt and will likely go back for roe at some point.
That and I missed a fox so unfinished business. Lots of foxes around but didn't try while deer hunting.

Attachments

hunter25

Very Active Member
Sep 8, 2016
Rifle used was a supressed blaser r93 in .243 with fixed 8x scope. The high magnification gave me a little problems in close until I got used to it.
But a sweet rifle.
Also have to comment on the shooting sticks that are more common over there. His are viper flex but several brands available now.
I just bought a similar set.
4 legs but 2 points of ground contact
Holds rifle front and back. Very lightweight and solid.
I think it was 4lite that I bought myself.
Highly recommend

Attachments

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Ron Spomer's youtube channel did a review of shooting sticks while in Africa. It was more of the style of sticks available rather than a specific manufacturer review. Similar ones to the ones you used were picked as being the most steady.

Mr Drysdale

Mar 24, 2013
Sounds like a fun trip and hunt. Congrats on your success. I would be interested to know what prompted this trip? You have ties in England?

Reactions: hunter25

hunter25

Very Active Member
Sep 8, 2016
Sounds like a fun trip and hunt. Congrats on your success. I would be interested to know what prompted this trip? You have ties in England?
It doesn't take much to prompt me to hunt anything anywhere.
I didn't draw a deer tag at home this year so was randomly looking for something to do. I read a post of a similar hunt in another forum so started looking into it.
I found airfare from aspen my closest airport for only $650 round trip, joined a couple Facebook groups in the UK dedicated to hunting there and started sending messages. From planning to arrival was less than 8 weeks.
I've done hunts in Texas before for whitetail or axis deer and honestly by the time it's all done something like this costs very little more.
So anyway, I had no ties to anyone there and went totally alone.
But as is often the case I've been fortunate to connect well with guides and locals anywhere I've ever gone and had an amazing time.

Mr Drysdale

Mar 24, 2013
It doesn't take much to prompt me to hunt anything anywhere.
I didn't draw a deer tag at home this year so was randomly looking for something to do. I read a post of a similar hunt in another forum so started looking into it.
I found airfare from aspen my closest airport for only $650 round trip, joined a couple Facebook groups in the UK dedicated to hunting there and started sending messages. From planning to arrival was less than 8 weeks.
I've done hunts in Texas before for whitetail or axis deer and honestly by the time it's all done something like this costs very little more.
So anyway, I had no ties to anyone there and went totally alone.
But as is often the case I've been fortunate to connect well with guides and locals anywhere I've ever gone and had an amazing time.
Very adventurous. Glad you had success and made some more hunting memories.

Reactions: hunter25