Hunting Doe

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
In my first post I said I have shot a lot of doe deer. Where I live here in SW Colorado it is primarily agriculture, hay, orchards and pasture, all irrigated. We have literally 100's of mule deer within a mile of my place. Every night there are 40 to 50 in my yard. I apply for a private land anterless deer tag every year. I draw maybe 1 in 3 or 4 years. I would shoot one every year if I could. There are so many deer here that we are starting to see lions a lot. I have seen 2 in the last 2 weeks.

I think our Parks & Wildlife people are playing games with the population numbers they report for several of the units here. There are lots of deer, just not as many as they show population wise on public land where they can be easily hunted. I believe the majority are not in the National Forest/BLM, but on private/residential land. No difference between you guys that say you would shoot whitetail does and me shooting mule deer does.

Last edited:

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Got nothing against shooting doe if herd is in good shape.

not always but will try not to shoot doe w fawns

taste good. Most of the deer i have shot been button bucks or does.

Reactions: mallardsx2

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I think the biggest thing for me is being informed on the management practices that are taking place in my hunt areas. Maintaining certain buck/doe ratios is at the heart of management and that makes it tough for me to shoot mule deer does. Whitetails are doing well just about everywhere in Wyoming, even with Blue Tongue and CWD their numbers still grow. For me it's about the supply of the food at that point and the demand being too high, even with good ag.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
I shot a whitetail doe the last day of the season, had an extra tag, already got my buck and we have a shitload of whitetail that live in my yard. I turned it all into burger and gave it away to my employees. win win. First doe in about 15 years. It did feel wierd though.

Reactions: ScottR

DoubleDropMuley

Apr 18, 2020
Personally I’m with Buzz and Scott, I won’t personally shoot a doe Muley, I’d prefer a whitetail doe, I used to get doe antelope tags to archery hunt but I don’t feel the need anymore, I will hunt cow elk for the freezer. Had whitetail doe tags this year but didn’t even make it to hunt them , but I’m fine with that too!! Personal choice IMO ,

Reactions: ScottR

sigpros

Very Active Member
Aug 10, 2011
missouri
My deer hunting is limited to Missouri and Kansas but my family and I shoot a lot of does. We eat them and like deer meat, but I don't like to shoot immature bucks I would rather shoot a doe than a young buck. Now I throw that out the window hunting with kids or new hunters if it is legal and they want to fill their tag then go ahead.