Huntin Buddy

Kentucky hunter

Jul 22, 2013
loretto ky
Just found out that Dad has cancer we do not know what kind or stage yet just have a bad feeling 2015 elk hunt may have been his last trip even if he can beat it I can see that he's hurting Glad to be able to get on here an read you guys story's an have friend to lean on

Cobbhunts

Veteran member
Jan 22, 2014
Kentucky
That's horrible news KH. Hang in there and pray! I train and hunt with my bird dog fairly close to you. If you think he'd like to get out and shoot some quail when he feels like it let me know bud!

Colorado T

Aug 28, 2011
Littleton, CO
Damn KH, that's tough news. I couldn't imagine getting that news, my dad has been with me on just about every one of my hunts. Hang in their and I will be praying for you guys!!

Dark Mavis

Mar 6, 2015
Vernon Parish, LA
I hate to hear that. Buy him a few new hunting videos to watch. The outdoor channel and the pursuit channel always helped keep my dads spirits up when he was to sick from treatments to get outdoors himself.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Thank Guys it is hard to swallow I broke down last night an Im not the type that brakes
There is hope.....I had cancer 20 years ago, went thru chemo twice. I was told I had a 1 in 10 chance of living 5 years. Get the best doctor you can get, keep a positive attitude and trust you can do it.
We are praying for your Dad.

Last edited:

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Hang in there KH. My wife was diagnosed 5+ yrs ago and had a 70% survival rate. She is currently doing just fine.
Prayers sent your way friend.

Jan 7, 2013
central Kentucky
Try to keep a positive attitude if possible. My family went through the same thing 14 years ago. Dad had surgery followed by chemo and radiation.
Prayers were answered and he hasn't missed a hunting season since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hoshour

Veteran member
It seems like it is almost the norm to beat most cancers now, at least for a few years. I know quite a few people, maybe 12 or 15, who have had cancer, several with stage 4 cancer, and not one of them has died in the first few years afterwards. Some have been free of it for 15-20 years.

It ain't what it used to be, but I know it still feels like a punch to the gut. One thing it will do, though. It will focus your attention on what matters in this life.

That's a good thing, even if it brings tears. Many times we only see clearly when we see through tears.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
sorry to hear about your dad. he and you are in my prayers.
above all , NEVER lose hope. 24 years ago my own dad was diagnosed with melanoma. the doctors said he would not live out the year. he is now just shy of 84 and though he has been through the ringer in that 24 years, he is like the energizer bunny and just keeps going an going. mindset is everything.cancer is not a death sentence just another hurdle to overcome

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
my dad got it in 2007 and was gone in 2008. I wish you luck. Plan on some tough times ahead. On another note,
my wife got it in 2008 and is doing great.