Huge Bull!

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
That elk held the record until the mid 60's for a typical Rocky Mountain Elk before a hunter in Arizona shot a bigger one.

Big elk are something to see in the wild, they are truly impressive. In 2005 I was headed deer hunting on the Monroe Mountain in Utah when a herd of elk was crossing the road right in front of us. I told my nephew to get his video camera rolling and then I just sat there and watched. After 40 or so elk had crossed the road with only small rag horns and spike crossing I wondered where the herd bull was at. Then here he came. He was quite impressive and with a club type antler on his right side he looked quite unique. It was the spider bull 3 years before he was shot and we had him on video. They ended up killing him about a half mile away from where we saw him cross the road at.

Last year while muzzle loader hunting the same areas on that mountain I saw a couple of bulls that are close if not as big. The problem is drawing a elk tag on that mountain.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Odd are those old boys were out hunting for something to eat and could of cared less about the antlers.

As the story that I heard on it was that after he told some friends about it he ended up going back to get the antlers to show them.

The hunter could quite possibly tell you more about mining than he could about hunting.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I forgot that I had the story in a book that I have.

The book is Colorado's Biggest Bucks and Bulls and Other Great Colorado Big Game by Susan Campbell Reneau. The copy that I have is the second edition.

Here is the story about it.

Attachments

Reactions: Bonecollector

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
I read the story about that bull. The hunter was only worried about the meat not the antlers. I wonder how many other big Bulls etc. were taken back in the day and they left the horns.

Also there are some impressive bulls at the Meeker Hotel.

Last edited:

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I have actually seen quite a few sets of antlers that would score real well if they were ever scored. Most are stored in the basements or out in the barns of old ranchers that could of cared less about the antlers but were looking for some food.

A lot of these animals were shot out of season if there was a season at the time usually down in the hay fields munching on the cattle's winter feed.