How was the winter in the Unitas?

schlaggerman

Mar 10, 2011
Heard southwestern Wyoming had a tough winter. Planning on elk hunting again this year in the Unitas and was wondering how the winter conditions were on the north slope of the Unitas. Are the game animals normally able to migrate down to the lower elevations without problems?

KHSRanger23

Apr 14, 2016
Utah
I have not heard or seen any reports about winter kill for animals in the Uinta's yet as access is probably still a problem. I know there was a lot of snow this winter in that area with some more coming yesterday and today. The animals can and do move, the problems come when those lower elevations have deep snow and cold for extended periods. I am interested as well to see any kind of reports once some of the snow recedes and people are able to get access into those areas, hoping for the best.

schlaggerman

Mar 10, 2011
Thanks KHSRanger23. If you hear anything new please post it here as I will check in periodically to see.

KHSRanger23

Apr 14, 2016
Utah
Still haven't seen any talk about Uinta Elk numbers. I did see that Wyoming Fish and Game was looking for volunteers to conduct a deer herd mortality survey for southwest Wyoming which would include the Uinta's. They were going to conduct the deer herd survey on May 4th and 11th. Nothing I can find about Elk yet, but looks like there are folks are trying to check on herd conditions for animal's in the Uinta's.

schlaggerman

Mar 10, 2011
Thanks for the update KHS. I'll continue to monitor this thread so any future updates will be greatly appreciated.

KHSRanger23

Apr 14, 2016
Utah
Schlaggerman still not any updates on the Uinta Elk specifically that I can find. They did finally get Mirror lake highway open on June 25th, so that's good news. Also I linked an article that talks about the results of the deer survey that I mentioned in earlier post and the results were not good. Again that is for deer in Southwest Wyoming. I hope that not finding any articles or information on the Elk means that they had a better winter than the deer.