How many arrows?

T43

Over the past couple days while out breaking arrows, or as I like to refer to it, target practicing. I started wondering, how many arrows do I need to take with me when I go hunting? I know I will have the 5 that fit on the bow but how many more. I figure there is the off chance I will fall and break every arrow in my quiver so perhaps 5 more would be enough. Then I figured if I break 5 carbon arrows in a fall will I even be able to shoot the bow? If not then I figure two extra would probably suffice (I plan on using / losing 1 or 2 shooting grouse and squirrels and such). But I also figure if I did break 5 in a fall and the bow was ok I would need 5 more but I would want to sight it in and have enough to account for a mishap or two in the re sighting process so that would be the 5 plus about 2 or 3. Then I decided to just ask those of you who have been at it a while, how many arrow's / broadheads/ field points do you carry while hunting? What else do you carry extra of?

wolftalonID

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
Well, I like yourself tend to treat my arrows like bullets. They dont often make it back for a reuse! lol.

I have killed giant rocks. Last year I got one that never took a step...dropped it right there, and my arrow or what was left of it, about 4", did an amazing job of exploding on impact.

Archery for me has been a never ending flow of arrows. I usually take a full dozen with me to camp. Some for plinking at the target with, and the best tuned ones for hunting.
Six broadheads is usually been enough per outing, however, I did last year end up buying more before the season was up. LOL.

I shot competition meets since I was six years old, and only recently started hunting. I swear I have never shook so hard when shooting as you do when bow hunting something. Its amazing how much of a rush it is, and how distracting it can be to your perfect form. I am getting better under pressure little at a time, but for now, I always take more than I think i need.

Feb 21, 2011
Edmonton AB.
I like to take my 4 on bow and 6 more in a tube. That gives me some to fall on, some to shoot through birds, and a couple extra. To this point I've only left one arrow in the field. It missed a turkey and ended up some place under some brush down the hill. I looked, couldn't find it.

llp

Mar 15, 2011
Having an extra half dozen or so at the truck or camp seems about right. Not that you will very likely ever need the extras, if you carry 5 or so in the arrow quiver. I keep the extras primarily for practice while back at camp, but also to replenish any lost or damaged while out hunting. It never hurts to have a few extra arround, and change to judo heads for stump shooting practice, etc. If you are going through more than 6 braodheads on a single animal hunt (deer for example) then you need to be practicing more before the season.

When hunting multiple species in Africa I only took a dozen arrows. Ended up using about half, and still having plenty left over.

llp

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
I usually bring a dozen, with at least 6 broadheads. They're light, and if you're already bringing 5, you might as well bring 12. I've never needed more than two, but you just never know what might happen.

Whitetail101

Feb 21, 2011
Indiana, PA
I always have a full dozen with me on a hunt. Depending on which setup I am using, I will have 4 or 5 arrows in the quiver and the rest in a tube in the truck/camp.

I have a 4 arrow quiver for my spot and stalk bow and a 6 arrow quiver on my groundblind bow(I only carry 5 because the 6th spot is taken up with the legs of the Vibracheck Quickstand)

Rob

Feb 21, 2011
Iowa
I take five in with me in my quiver. I keep another six plus a back-up bow and a dozen arrows for it in my truck. If I ever have to I can hike out and re-stock.

hoytnut

Mar 10, 2011
Monticello, Utah
I usually carry six arrows with broadheads attached and another three arrows that need broadheads screwed on. Never shot more than two arrows on a hunt yet and I hope I never have to fling all nine.

twp1224

Mar 6, 2011
Central Coast
I only take five arrows in my quiver. I dont plan on ever shooting more than 5 on a trip. That being said I lost one out of my quiver last year on the hike in. Made me think about taking extras this year.

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
Depending if it is a day hunt or a week long pack in? When I day hunt I carry four with me, when on longer excursions, I will fill my quiver (6) and have another 6 at my truck or base camp. I figure if I shoot more than that at animals, I better practice some more. Never thought about the falling down on them though and breaking them, that could be bad.