How has the snow level been in the Bob Marshall Wilderness this winter?

BKhunter50

Jan 14, 2017
Canton, Mississippi
Hello Everyone,

I've heard Colorado and Wyoming have been hit with some major snow this year that may have an effect on Mule Deer populations next fall. Haven't heard much about Montana though. Was looking at potentially hunting mule deer in the Bob Marshall next fall. Does anyone know if the snow has been any worst than normal this year in that part of the world?

missjordan

Veteran member
Dec 9, 2014
Missoula, MT
Snowfall in Montana has been heavy too. Especially in the northwest part of the state. I believe glacier park area got hit with the majority of snow. Some of my snowmobile friends said the snow around Seeley lake wasn't as good this year for running their machines so maybe that's a plus for the animals. I was up around Seeley about a month ago and the snowpack around town was just under my knees in the yard of my aunts cabin. There were tons of elk around the refuge close to the highway but no deer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rammont

Oct 31, 2016
Montana
I live south of the Bob Matshall about 40 miles at an elevation of 5400 ft. We have had quite a bit of snow, just had another storm today with about 4 inches of snow on the ground. Depending on the elevation you will probably see 2 to 3 feet of snow on the ground right now with most places having closer to 2 feet. There is slightly more snow this year than the previous 8 year average. There have been periods of higher temperatures (in the 40s) recently and the snow started melting pretty fast but as I mentioned, we had another storm today.

Here's a good source of snow information (clicking on the little black circles will provide station info)
https://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/webmap_beta/index.html#version=76&elements=&networks=!&states=!&counties=!&hucs=&minElevation=&maxElevation=&elementSelectType=all&activeOnly=true&activeForecastPointsOnly=false&hucLabels=false&hucParameterLabels=false&stationLabels=&overlays=&hucOverlays=&mode=data&openSections=dataElement,parameter,date,basin,elements,location,networks&controlsOpen=true&popup=&base=esriNgwm&displayType=station&basinType=6&dataElement=SNWD&parameter=PCTMED&frequency=DAILY&duration=I&customDuration=&dayPart=E&year=2017&month=3&day=4&monthPart=E&forecastPubMonth=3&forecastPubDay=1&forecastExceedance=50&seqColor=1&divColor=3&scaleType=D&scaleMin=&scaleMax=&referencePeriodType=POR&referenceBegin=1981&referenceEnd=2010&minimumYears=20&hucAssociations=true&lat=48.243&lon=-112.050&zoom=8

This a chart showing the snow amounts for March since 2010
https://wcc.sc.egov.usda.gov/reportGenerator/view/customSingleStationReport/monthly/start_of_period/876:MT:SNTL|id=""|name/2010-02-28,2017-03-05:M|3/WTEQ::value,WTEQ::median_1981,WTEQ::pctOfMedian_1981,SNWD::value,PREC::value,PREC::average_1981,PREC::pctOfAverage_1981,TMAX::value,TMIN::value,TAVG::value?fitToScreen=false

Last edited:

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
north Idaho and western Montana are having a normal winter. yes, we have snow down low, so everyone assumes major winter. but in the mountains, it has been normal.

this is coming from a winter freak, not a worried about the animals person. The animals have dealt with way more snow than this before.

rammont

Oct 31, 2016
Montana
north Idaho and western Montana are having a normal winter. yes, we have snow down low, so everyone assumes major winter. but in the mountains, it has been normal.

this is coming from a winter freak, not a worried about the animals person. The animals have dealt with way more snow than this before.
No tim, not everyone is assuming that the snowfall is worse this year, maybe you are correct about the snow in your area but don't forget that snow levels change almost ridge by ridge in the mountains. But rather than assuming, I based my remark on actual weather station data and personal experience, and I don't live in the low lands, I live just under 5700 feet in a national forest about 3 miles west of the Continental Divide, probably a lot closer to the Bob Marshall than you do so while my personal guess isn't any more qualified than yours it's definitely based on ground conditions that are much closer to the Bob Marshall.

The USDA web site that I linked to shows that the official amount of snow recorded for the beginning of March, every year since 2010, at their Wood Creek station (elevation 5960 ft.). This year there was 31 inches of snow at that station, last year there was 16 inches of snow for the same date, so there was twice as much snow on the ground this year compared to last year. Total accumulated snow levels are higher too, 15 inches this year vs. 8.7 inches last year. March isn't over yet so this month will accumulate more snow before the season is done. In fact we are in the middle of several days of snow right now. We've had two days straight so far and about 10 inches of snow, I suspect that we will have almost a foot before this storm finishes. This is what we woke up to this morning.

P1030635.jpg

As for my personal experience, I live off of a forest service road and I plow the snow for about 200 yards to get to my property (100 yards of that is on my property) and last year I had no problem with pushing the snow of the roads but this year I was running out of places to push it, thank goodness we experienced a few days of 40 degree weather, about half the snow melted over those few days and gave me room for the current snow storm we're going through. The snow started late this year but we had several heavy snow days each month in this area and the temperatures were lower than normal so our the melts haven't happened as early. Most of the game organizations are predicting that there might be a higher than normal winter kill of deer and elk this year because of the increased snow amounts.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
personally you can not compare just one winter, but many. Last year was light, the year before really light, this year normal. this graph shows most places are normal.

Attachments

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
just so you folks know, snopack usually peaks mid april. that is when the snow water equivalent is the most. yes the bottoms will be melted out, but the peaks and basins will still be loaded. thank god, life would suck without snow.

ram, I too was running out of places to put snow.

rammont

Oct 31, 2016
Montana
If you would go to the links I provided and actually read the information you'll see that I didn't compare one year, I pulled the data for the last 8 years.

rammont

Oct 31, 2016
Montana
western Montana is wishing they got the snow, the internet stated they got.
Western Montana? Those of us who actually live there know that we've had a wetter year than usual and we got some really big snow levels this past winter.