How do you store your kills? Throwdown!

StuartHunts

Sep 2, 2016
Let's get some debate going here!

How do you store your kills and keep them fresh as the day they were butchered?

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
There is only one way, freeze it.

There are also different ways to wrap it once it is butchered. For larger animals I'll use Saran Wrap around the meat itself and then use freezer paper for the outer covering. For small animals or fish I'll use a vacuum sealer. I have used the vacuum sealer for larger animals but it isn't cost effective when you price out the bags even if you use rolls of them.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I do exactly the same as Jim does with the exception of vacuuming packing everything. There is only my wife and I and I probably package in smaller amounts than most of you do.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Agreed, mostly freeze and vacuum pack or wrap as described. There is another way that works well, several folks I know like to can some of their take. Works great for stew meats etc.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
I use both methods. I use frezzer wrap on the cuts I know aren't going to be frozen for very long. I use vacuum bags for the meat we use during the year that may be frozen for upwards of 6 months or even a year. I've never had frezzer burn using vacuum bags.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I just tightly double wrap in freezer paper, one small piece of tape to keep it wrapped and freeze. it will easily last minimum of one year. don't like plastic ziplock bags as they are a pain to unwrap till meat is fully unthawed.

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
I've never heard of this. What does the salt do? Is it like a brine?
I have known people to do this with rabbits though.
it helps take away that wild game flavor, but I love that wild game flavor so I don't do this. I have with duck though

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I have to admit that in over 50 years of hunting and cooking wild game I have never soaked it in salt water to take out the gamey flavor.

StuartHunts

Sep 2, 2016
Awesome tip about the salt!

So far the general consensus is freezing. Has no one tried curing or dehydrating and making jerky?

A lot of you vacuum seal like I do. I found a vacuum sealer bags and rolls discount club. Would you all like a link? I pick up my bags and rolls when I get sale alerts.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I'll usually take my year old meat and grind it up for jerky, sausage, and quite a few other things that use ground meat. I'll even go as far as grinding up 90% of a deer and then freezing it in 5lb packages for future uses that I use ground meat for. In the next couple of weeks I'll make up some jerky for this years deer and elk hunt over in Utah.

For vacuum bags I'll usually pick them up in bulk and personally don't like off brand bags. They seam to fail or not hold the seal as good as the ones that I purchase.

StuartHunts

Sep 2, 2016
I'll usually take my year old meat and grind it up for jerky, sausage, and quite a few other things that use ground meat. I'll even go as far as grinding up 90% of a deer and then freezing it in 5lb packages for future uses that I use ground meat for. In the next couple of weeks I'll make up some jerky for this years deer and elk hunt over in Utah.

For vacuum bags I'll usually pick them up in bulk and personally don't like off brand bags. They seam to fail or not hold the seal as good as the ones that I purchase.
A grinder is on my list of kitchen toys to buy next!

I've been able to pick up brand name bags from the buyer's club. I like the Weston ones, but I have gotten FoodSaver and VacMaster ones before.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
We make plenty of jerky, but almost always vacuum pack and freeze what will not be eaten in a week or two. The left overs are always in the refer. Most of my brines lack the salt and full full drying necessary to make it suitable to be considered preserved at room temp for any significant time.

Our meat grinder is about our favorite kitchen toy, basically tied with the vacuum packager. They make a great complimentary set of toys. But between the two, the vacuum packager gets much more use, due to my fishing habit. Vacuum pack the filets, and then often the roe for bait. Have not ground any salmon yet, but one never knows. Actually considering canning both venison and salmon, but we'll see as I have little time for new hobbies...

StuartHunts

Sep 2, 2016
We make plenty of jerky, but almost always vacuum pack and freeze what will not be eaten in a week or two. The left overs are always in the refer. Most of my brines lack the salt and full full drying necessary to make it suitable to be considered preserved at room temp for any significant time.

Our meat grinder is about our favorite kitchen toy, basically tied with the vacuum packager. They make a great complimentary set of toys. But between the two, the vacuum packager gets much more use, due to my fishing habit. Vacuum pack the filets, and then often the roe for bait. Have not ground any salmon yet, but one never knows. Actually considering canning both venison and salmon, but we'll see as I have little time for new hobbies...
Why have I never considered grinding fish before?!! +1 more reason to get a grinder!

7mag

Sep 1, 2014
Wyoming
I use to vaccum seal everything but its so hard to keep stacked in an upright freezer i went back to paper wrapping it all. We package burger in the plastic tubes with a hog ring on the end of the bag.

StuartHunts

Sep 2, 2016
I use to vaccum seal everything but its so hard to keep stacked in an upright freezer i went back to paper wrapping it all. We package burger in the plastic tubes with a hog ring on the end of the bag.
I keep the vacuum sealed packs in a small cardboard box. I label the box, then they stack very nicely.

If anyone else wants to sign up for the discount club for bags and rolls like I did, the link is here

There is a really helpful buyers guide on that site too, I wound up picking up some jar sealers and an accessory hose after reading that. Had no idea that I could use FoodSaver accessories with a Weston.

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Our feral hogs get quartered then just wrapped in many layers of plastic wrap. If wrapped enough and then taped down they will last for at least a year in the freezer. The wrap covers the bones better without tearing and exposing the meat to the freezer.