How do you carry your Bow? Sling or or strapped to Pack

coyhuntermn

Jul 18, 2011
I have been using a sling to carry my bow on my side for several years without issue. I decided this year to add a eberlystock style bow bucket to my pack to allow me move my bow to my pack if I want. The advantage to this I thought was It would have better protection when crossing creeks and low brushy area's. If you watch the video they show being able to draw your bow out without taking off your pack. The problem I see with this approach now that I have it is this is only possible if your pack is about empty and loaded slightly at the bottom so the bow is out farther at the bottom of the pack and in tight at the top. I think I will be back to using the sling but maybe I am overlooking something? My other worry is it sticks out quite a bit from your back and looks like you could catch branches or trees when turning. At least the sling is mostly visible and seems to be able to second nature to avoid things with it. Any opinions?

jenbickel

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Sheridan, Wyoming
www.facebook.com
I actually just carry mine... If I only get a split second chance at a bull or deer or whatever, I dont want to be wasting time trying to get my bow out of my pack. Plus then I can make sure I am not catching branches or anything.

dito

Feb 22, 2011
Alamosa, CO
I use the Primos bow sling. I like how it gives some protection to the cams, strings, and cables. It's also easy to take on and off.

Elkcrazedfrk

Feb 21, 2011
I bought a new Eberlesstock pack this spring that will hold my bow and has a quick release. I'll use that when i'm not in the middle of fresh sign. Otherwise I carry my bow. I tried the primos sling and it just didn't work out for me. I would take that thing off and put it on 20 times during the day..lol

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
I have a Primos sling I never use. I just strap my bow to my eberle, and take off the pack when I need it, or carry by hand when chasin' em around..

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
I use the primos sling when I am traveling to where I hunt if I am in the polaris ranger, otherwise I just carry my bow in my hand when hunting, unless I am crossing a stream or climbing a steep hill, then I will strap it to the outside of my badlands 2200. One thing to be careful of if you strap it to your pack is if you have a detachable quiver make sure it is strapped down too. I had a friend loose his whole quiver once we got up on top of the mountain. No arrows, no shots.

wolftalonID

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
I own a early model tail hook by eberlestock called the slingshot pack. Everytime I have put my bow away in the pocket that holds it, I have then and only then during the day come across the deer of the hunt to shoot. It results in a 30 second stare down while I am trying desperatly to reach my tired arm over my shoulder and grab at my bow and untether it. Then the deer runs away and I am cussing at my pack and stiff arm.

I hunt with my bow in hand and release on my wrist. Hiking in or not, my bow is always in my hand. If your packing out I understand it on the pack. Where I hunt, if you strap it to a pack, put it in the sling...thats when you will see your game.

coyhuntermn

Jul 18, 2011
Thanks for the input guys I am sticking with the sling. My new bow seems to fit better on my pack if I do need to strap it on in case I need to climb or something. One thing I do differently is my sling is attached to my pack with quick release buckles rather than having a strap cutting into my neck. I have done this with everything binos, grunt tube etc and I really like it. I carry it up as high as possible on my side and it seems to work well.

Archer32

Feb 22, 2011
SoDak
I tied in a Crooked Horn Bow hook into the left hip pad of my Eberlestock Blue Widow. I use this when I stop to glass or need hands free while standing. The bow hangs from the string. This little piece is priceless to me. My Matthews never gets strapped into the pack unless all tags are filled. I do love my Mathews two piece quiver in how the arrow holder rubber part really grips my hip and rides nicely if I'm holding the bow by the roller guard. I've gotten so comfortable with this that I can't part with the bow. It's a Legacy I purchased new the year it came out. I think it was 2002.

BigSurArcher

Very Active Member
Mar 3, 2011
N. CA
Another for the Primos sling. I have the original model which I like better than the newer bulkier one with all the unnecessary straps. It comes off in about a second when things are happening fast. The best part about using the sling is that you can glass easily without setting your bow down or holding it between your legs.