How Do You Breakdown an Elk?

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Yup on an either sex tag... every single Warden I know out here will tell you that on a sex specific tag evidence of sex must be retained. Just trying to help folks.
That is where a lot of people get confused between a either sex tag or a male or female tag.

It is just easier to leave proof of sex on the animal. Then if you have antler restrictions in the area that you are hunting then bring out either the head or skull cap with antlers/horns

Reactions: Mnbogboy and THelms

Gerald

Dec 8, 2017
Colorado
Here in colorado evidence of sex either udders or testicles naturally attached to one hind quarter until it's home or at the processor. Reason being people shoot old bull elk for the head and take a cow elk for the meat so head is not sufficient evidence of sex on bull only tags.
All of my elk have been shot just before dark in the evenings so I've always gutted them out and opened them up around the neck to shoulders on top before laying elk out on logs or brush if possible to elevate and cool down meat best as possible. Then come in morning with help to quarter and pack out the meat. Usually skin everything and put in game bags to keep clean. Hide is my ground cloth and yes always take the hooves/ lower legs off with my havalon. No need for fixed blade or saws when you cut at the joints for everything. My favorite job of the year and I can't wait to work on another pack out again this fall!

Reactions: taskswap

Gerald

Dec 8, 2017
Colorado
Oh but a nice thin blade saw is great for cutting skull caps off. I like to do two cuts one in the front of the eyes right through the nose then a second right where the spinal cord and brain hole is to meet the first cut.. skin and clean everything right away it's easier when fresh than to do it later