How Do You Breakdown an Elk?

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I'm surprised that someone hasn't said to wait until it is frozen solid and then take a hammer to it...

Reactions: THelms

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I'm going to be hunting out of state this year and on the chance I get lucky, I'm trying to figure out how to complex with the combination of evidence of sex but no-brain-matter-across-state-lines transport (CWD) requirements. I know the answer is to cut the top of the head plate off and leave the rest. Wondering if any of you has any tips or tricks on making that easy. Doesn't seem like it's a frequently discussed topic.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Just leave the pouch where it's manhood was or a female part used to be attached to a chunk of meat.

And just do with the skull plate as you said. But once you cut it off scrape the tissue out of it.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Skin and debone one side, roll over and repeat. In Wyoming you can detach the proof of sex and put it on a rubber glove or bag, or you can just take the head itself verse taking the privates.

Reactions: Mnbogboy

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
Actually sorry I wasn't more specific, this is a cow hunt that I'm looking at. I only ever cut a skull plate once and it was a huge pain in the butt, at least the way I did it, but at least I had the antlers to hold onto. What do y'all do with a cow?

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
I'm going to be hunting out of state this year and on the chance I get lucky, I'm trying to figure out how to complex with the combination of evidence of sex but no-brain-matter-across-state-lines transport (CWD) requirements. I know the answer is to cut the top of the head plate off and leave the rest. Wondering if any of you has any tips or tricks on making that easy. Doesn't seem like it's a frequently discussed topic.
Good advice on here but with an either sex tag, evidence of sex retention requirements varies from state to state perform the due diligence!

Bull only or Cow/Calf tags invariably require evidence of sex retention across the board.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Actually sorry I wasn't more specific, this is a cow hunt that I'm looking at. I only ever cut a skull plate once and it was a huge pain in the butt, at least the way I did it, but at least I had the antlers to hold onto. What do y'all do with a cow?
wyoming saw will take it off in a minute or two. it is easier if you skin the head where you will be sawing but also not necessary.

if you "accidently " shoot a bull just tell em it identified as a cow ;)

• Haha
Reactions: JimP

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I'm surprised that someone hasn't said to wait until it is frozen solid and then take a hammer to it...
On this particular hunt the rears froze up pretty good. The one side froze stretched out, the other...well not so much. Needless to say a hatchet was involved with removing the the hooves etc.

Reactions: kidoggy and JimP

Mnbogboy

Aug 19, 2018
Hibbing, MN
I watched a film of fred Richter quarter an antelope with the hide on all 4 quarters. Also met a couple of guys from Utah that quartered a mule deer that way....what a hairy mess. Gutless for us, fully deboned and package in gallon zip locks. Always carry a ground cloth made from a cut up table cloth or building wrap. The meat doesn't stick to these like it does sheet plastic. Small kitchen garbage bags help keep the inside of your pack less blood stained. In the pack frame I carry fillet knives & a sharpener also wet wipes, paper towels and a flashlight(headlamp would be a great addition. along with Gatorade and some sash cord to tie those legs out of your way. Sagebrush roots will give you an extra hand when you need it.

Mnbogboy

Aug 19, 2018
Hibbing, MN
Skin carefully around the double barrel and drop that chunk of skin in a sandwich bag.

Mnbogboy

Aug 19, 2018
Hibbing, MN
e dentist hollowing out g atooth !
I'm surprised that 'll saw hasn't said to wait until it is frozen solid and then take a hammer to it...
In Wisconsin once the bucks hung all week in below zero and out came the skill saw.the burning bone smelled like th

Mnbogboy

Aug 19, 2018
Hibbing, MN
Good advice on here but with an either sex tag, evidence of sex retention requirements varies from state to state perform the due diligence!

Bull only or Cow/Calf tags invariably require evidence of sex retention across the board.
Warden in Wyoming said if you are keeping the horns or antlers then packing out the head is enough proof for them.

Reactions: THelms