Horses, Horns, Pack Strings....

2rocky

Sep 10, 2012

[video=youtube;x-Q78EWWGsg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-Q78EWWGsg&list=PL8_Mlboekz8q7VwRP_opgChTSPY_GorGk&index=2[/video]

mntnguide

Very Active Member
2rocky... Awesome looking Decker loads... I miss packing decker saddles since i started guiding in wyoming where sawbucks are the way of life. Decker is hands down the best way to pack and protect the animals with the saddles. . When i start doing my own trips for myself and have my own herd it will definitely be decker saddles with a couple sawbucks just for food boxes. And Dave Stamey is an awesome artist to throw in there with that!

2rocky

Sep 10, 2012
Mtnguide, Thanks.

I'm a fan of the Decker since that is what I learned to pack on as well in North Idaho and Eastern Oregon. I had a good Teacher.

I can make due with the Sawbucks. It wasn't until I started using them that I learned the Box hitch. I 'll look to find some others as well.

Whenever I see a packstring picture in the Magazines or on TV I always try to look and see how they have the horses packed.

2rocky

Sep 10, 2012

My 70 year old dad brought the saddle horses when I tagged out on opening Day 2011.

Packing out we had a storm blow in. That was a COLD ride.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
First picture reminds me of going up Deer Creek to Deer creek pass on the way to Thorofare in Wy. I've done close to 30 trips like these, some of the pictures sure remind me of the High Sierras along the Muir trail in Calif. Did one to the Ansel Adams Wilderness in the Sierras last September. I was 71 at the time and it was still great!

Last edited: