Hope for humanity after all?

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Don't care much for the writing style of the author and don't totally agree with everything in the article, but I get the point.

Living here in SW Colorado (retired and having a good income, especially when compared to most of our residents) gives me a little different view of hunters and fisherman. Sure we get lots of out of state hunters and fisherman, but the locals prefer to fill their freezer rather than hunt for "horns" and do catch and release. A nice, fat cow elk can provide a lot of good, healthy eating for a family.
Myself, I would buy an either sex tag every year if I could. Hunt for a good bull all season, but when the time came to decide if I was going to "eat my tag" as lots of us say......I'll pull the trigger on a cow in a heart beat. My philosophy has always been to eat what I shoot....except for varmints. The was instilled in me by my Father and Grandfather at a very early age, and I still live by it.

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
I would agree that it is an interesting read and a breath of fresh air after years of being pounded by the mainstream for being cruel and brutish. Better for them to be late to the party than to be eternally misguided and ignorant. Let us welcome them to the brotherhood with open arms and open minds. The larger our numbers the more power we wield.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
After reading this article, I'm a little disgusted by this.. Mostly with the overall tone of the article, but two comments kinda rubbed me the wrong way

"But many political conservatives are ethical and environmental hunters who deeply respect the animals they hunt." No, I think the vast majority of us are ethical and environmental hunters who deeply respect the animals we hunt. Not only do we respect them, we care about them. Many of us devote a very large portion of our lives to not only hunting them, but making sure they are around for future generations to enjoy.

"Conservation in America was practically founded by hunters." No, conservation in America WAS founded by hunters, and wild game continues to flourish because of hunters.

To me, this article says "Now that the hippies and libs are cool with going out and fetching their own meat, we're gonna rail a little less on the idiot truck driving, country music listening, Mitt Romney voting trailer park rednecks. But, only because we hate horomones and antibiodics in our beef."

wapiti66

Aug 21, 2011
Kansas
Im with Fink, this article was filled with a bunch CRAP. The thought that people should move to cities and live in high-rise apartments to leave more room for the animals and forest is ignorant. It's apparent to me that the author is clueless on a lot of the topics they tried to touch on, Ag, Livestock, and Hunting, while trying to sound like all of the info was accepted fact. "fuel hungry machines harvesting crops," are way more efficient than ever. Those stinky piles of manure are piled as compost to be spread back onto fields as fertilizer all over the country. Is it a good idea to waive hunter ed requirements (missouri) just to try and get more people out there hunting? Isn't the point of hunter ed. to teach safety and "common sense" to the people hunting? As for me, Im not promoting the hippies to take up hunting, that's one less tag for an actual hunter going to somebody going through the most recent popular trend. I also don't buy into the notion that the conservatives are out there only looking for big racks while the liberals will be "meat hunting" for the better of the environment. This article was an insult to the hunter in my opinion.

Murdy

Dec 13, 2011
North-Central Illinois
I guess I'm not surprised that people that grew up in a different world with different traditions and beliefs would say some stupid things. At least they are opening their minds a bit, and that's encouraging.