Holster options for a glock 20 in 10mm, shoulder or chest

280ackimp

Jul 4, 2017
New Hampshire
Good topic !
I chose a leather belt holster that would carry my revolver high and tight. I chose a N frame S&W with a short 3"bbl for my trip into Griz country.

Here is the reasoning:
When hunting in the past in the same area I ended up leaving the same pistol in camp because it was in the way and heavy. Having had a few years to think about it I chose the Milt Spark AW because it rode high on the belt and would be tight to the body, snagging on stuff such as brush, ropes and various lines associated horses concerned me. It also has a hammer shroud to keep the hammer from scratching up my rifle stock and tearing my clothing and getting snagged if I needed it. This design also has a tensioning device and not a thumb break or suicide strap so access was quick while being very secure.

The short bbl revolver made sense to me because if I were to use it -vs- my rifle it would be while I was defending myself at contact distance, wrestling if you will. Moving a long bbl handgun into position may be difficult when your in a bear hug? My thoughts may not be the same as yours.

I like chest holsters. I use them here in the east when fishing and hiking, I have a different set of possible preditors to deal with. The chest holsters are concieled by fishing waders and work nice. If you remove a layer of clothing you have to remove your chest or shoulder holster, will you put it back on once you peeled off your shirt or will you put it over the new layer you have added?

One thing to consider. When you get an animal and your about to gut/dress it where will your gun be ?
In the sad and tragic case in Wyoming this year a guide was reported to have removed his chest holster before starting to clean an elk when he was attatcked. The pistol was not on his person at the point of attack and may have contributed to his death and not being able to defend himself.
This year my guide also took off his 44 mag in a shoulder holster when the work of gutting the animal started. I did the heavy looking on or performed the supervisory role. I had a 41 mag on my hip and a rifle in arms reach, and my head on a swivle .....every chippy caused a heart beat to skip!

I think that a holster on the hip is less likely to be removed than a chest or shoulder holster when the work starts and that is arguably when you are at the most vulnerabble. I also like a strong side holster as opposed to a cross draw as drawing the weapon will be more sure and require less time consuming motion. A cross draw holster on the belt will allow access by both the strong and weak hand and that is somthing to consider.

A few things in closing,
1 - keep it loaded that means one in the chamber because you may not have two hands to manipulate the slide when needed.
2 -buy a good stiff Gun Belt that fits the holster, it provides stability to the weapon, consistancy of location and great distribution of the weapons weight.
3- Practice once you make your decisions, you have precious few seconds when needed and you should be running on muscle memory when the SHTF. In police work we used to say 200 + repetitions of the draw created muscle memory.
4, Assuming you are packing for 4 legged beasts, buy good ammo for the purpose, defensive or police ammo does not fit the bill here.

This is my 2 cents and I know opinions will varry !