Hiking close to Cheyenne?

hskrhntr

Aug 8, 2014
Nebraska
I'm training for an archery elk hunt and am going to be in Cheyenne for business this week. I have a morning open and want to do some hiking at higher elevation. I'm from Nebraska and don't get a chance to train at altitude very often so I want to take advantage of being out there. Can anyone point me to an area reasonably close to Cheyenne where I could get a hike in? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Againstthewind

Very Active Member
Mar 25, 2014
Upton, WY
I'm training for an archery elk hunt and am going to be in Cheyenne for business this week. I have a morning open and want to do some hiking at higher elevation. I'm from Nebraska and don't get a chance to train at altitude very often so I want to take advantage of being out there. Can anyone point me to an area reasonably close to Cheyenne where I could get a hike in? Thanks in advance!

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/wyoming/medicine-bow-trail--2

Not sure if the Snowies are too far or not. There is some hiking around Vedauwoo (sp.?) I think you just park at close to the Lincoln monument. Where I have been was pretty at Vedauwoo was pretty easy, but I think it 8500 feet or so. Lots of roads and trails to pick from. Some more local people on here, but I tried, lol. Pretty cool rock formations.

I forgot about the old ski hill deal. Off to the right from the turn to happy jack from the interstate that old ski run you could get a little hill climbing in. It's not huge I guess.

Last edited:

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Go straight west on I-80 to the Lincoln rest stop, and stop in to the info center to grab a map. All national forest around there, could just take off jogging down the forest service roads.

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
Go straight west on I-80 to the Lincoln rest stop, and stop in to the info center to grab a map. All national forest around there, could just take off jogging down the forest service roads.
Jump on over the overpass at the Lincoln memorial rest stop....right into National forest.

dru.bishop73

Jul 17, 2017

Ive got an elk tag in unit 11. Havent been there yet but will be in a week or so. I think medicine bow is the highest around (the southern tip of my unit). Let me know what you think of it if you make it out there. The other area close by is elk mountain, but not sure what kind of established trails might be there.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk