High country mulies

slim jim

Sep 14, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I have been wanting to hunt the high country for mulies in CO for a few years now ever since I put down the rifle and started bow hunting. I read my MRS and want to hunt unit 54 or 55. What I'm looking for is any info on how to get started with the point process because I think that it takes at least 1 point to obtain a tag for NR. I don't know if you can still purchase a point, it might be to late. Any help would be appreciated.

slim jim

Sep 14, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks Old H I appreciate the info. I really want to hunt CO next year. I am hunting the first week of August for cow elk here in NV, then August 11th thru 17th for high country mule deer. Also September 10th thru 14th in AZ for desert mulie bucks, so I have my plate full this season but really would like to focus on CO for next season if possible. Colorado has the magnum mulies that I would love to hunt and challenge myself physically in those high altitude mtns. I've never hunted over 11,000 ft.

Old Hunter

Banned
Dec 28, 2011
Buena Vista, Co.
I hope you didn't see the post I deleted. I'm all about elk, and that's what I showed. Elk is a slam dunk with no points. You even have a chance this year to get a leftover.

Deer is a different story. 2 points is guaranteed. 1 point is something like 80% in 54, and much worse in 55. It has been hard to get deer tags in 55 since the winter kill.

You should have applied for a point this year. Then you could have applied as 1st choice for deer in 54. You might have got it next year. If not, you would have your 2 point for the next year.

As it is, you may have to wait 3 years if you're not lucky two years from now when try with 1 point.

I have the same problem in my unit which is just over the pass from 55. Elk is easy to get. Deer is tough. Without private land deer tags I could only hunt every other year for deer, and my unit is easier than 54 or 55.