High country mulies 21' who's in??

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
What a buck yours was... Hell finding them is the best part and my money is that you find another monster this year..

Now last year I was looking through my 15z at this so you can see how a guy would get distracted.. 46B355C9-A10F-446D-92D5-E087A303DCE2.jpeg7701300A-D728-4CDE-8713-DE030F0A6CBE.png I

I knew there was a chance another hunter could get him as he moved basins this year - just part of the risk and as much as my wife liked him I would do the same thing again. Best pics I have are from the last day of July this past year. He grew out at least 2” on all of his points..

Yea solid mass lol...

127F6696-D842-4E01-A64F-886A5A47DFAD.jpegCA3EFDBB-9AB7-4A3D-8BBB-D50140D6DD5C.jpeg

1C0DDDD4-114F-4E8B-AD84-576F828C32D2.jpeg

Last edited:

DoubleDropMuley

Apr 18, 2020
What a buck yours was... Hell finding them is the best part and my money is that you find another monster this year..

Now last year I was looking through my 15z at this so you can see how a guy would get distracted.. View attachment 33533View attachment 33534 I

I knew there was a chance another hunter could get him as he moved basins this year - just part of the risk and as much as my wife liked him I would do the same thing again. Best pics I have are from the last day of July this past year. He grew out at least 2” on all of his points..

Yea solid mass lol...

View attachment 33527View attachment 33529

View attachment 33530
Dang now that’s a cool buck!!!

Reactions: ColoradoV

Alan Leone

Jan 19, 2021
I had planned to give Western Wy a go last year for the first time and then I managed to tear my bicep tendon off the bone in late July, ending that dream. I even applied for a Colorado NR last year too. So now I need to get back to the gym in hopes to go after a good Wy mulie and see if a fellow can draw a Colorado NR tag with a single point.

BrandonM

Nov 9, 2011
Is fall here yet?! This time of year always drives me crazy waiting for fall. Too far away!

arwaterfowler

Dec 4, 2011
Omaha, NE
Is fall here yet?! This time of year always drives me crazy waiting for fall. Too far away!
I try to embrace it. This time of years gives me time to continue to improve through more research and training. Every labor day I always have a little anxiety that I am not prepared enough. I'm trying to get away from that feeling.

Reactions: BrandonM

BKC

Very Active Member
Feb 15, 2012
The high plains of Colorado
I have a ton of deer points and always wanted a high country velvet muley on my wall. I always kept my eye on this unit, Colorado #74, which is just north of Durango. You could hunt the same deer with an early rifle, a bow or a muzzleloader. The rifle tag has only gotten easier to draw with almost twice the tags available as 12 years ago. Meanwhile, the archery and muzzleload tags have expanded about 30 to 40%. With a reduction of deer herds and buck to doe ratios dropping, why in the world would you raise tag allocations to these levels? As you could see the early rifle tag went from 7 points to 11 held basically steady and then started dropping. Very different from good quality units that experience preference point creep every couple of years. Imo, cpw is killing this unit. I did not even look into the regular season rifle tags but I think overall quality of this unit is going the wrong way. Why even wait for a rifle tag, just use the muzzleloader every year. The rifle hunts happen a week earlier than most all other high country hunts across the state, maybe the only reason to wait on a rifle tag.

Does anyone have first hand experience in this unit? Any thoughts to my rambling?20210212_095810.jpg