High Country Muleys 19 Who's In?

LCH

Very Active Member
Jun 28, 2015
Southern Indiana
I'd like to use my points for a September hunt in Wyoming this year, but that all depends on the other irons I've got in the fire.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
He is very identical on both sides. Very minimal deductions side to side

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I hope you find him! Looking forward to seeing what you turn up this year, it?s going to be tough for you to beat last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mntnguide

Very Active Member
I hope you find him! Looking forward to seeing what you turn up this year, it?s going to be tough for you to beat last year.

I know.. everyone keeps reminding me that haha. Kinda hard to top those 2 otc animals in one year again, but i can't wait to start putting the miles on trying!

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
Yea some cool bucks for you wyo boys last year congrats again to you both on some great bucks!

I will be up high for me that is 11,500+ once mid July hits. Already have a couple of family backpacking trips planned as nothing better than time scouting w family. Then I will go out solo a few more with one a exploration trip as we all have to see new area's. With all the snow we already have I would think most passes will not open until about July 4th this year.

Last year decided to leave a couple points on the table and drew a archery license. Had a great scouting season and found 3-4 great bucks with one that really stood out. Yea he did..

Put a ton of time into finding/scouting/patterning him but alas after putting him to bed on the last sunday before the opener on the way back to the truck I rolled a 4 wheeler over myself it got my leg, alone, in a rain/hail storm... I did not break it but could barley walk and against doctors orders decided to hunt. As the buck I was hunting was a once in a lifetime type opportunity. Needless to say the injury made the hunt a more of a challenge than I expected but in 15 days hunting I got with in 46, 55, and 80 yards of my target buck. With a bow sometimes it works out and sometimes it does not this time luck was with the buck. Still a great adventure, where I met some great folks, and all in all one of the most amazing seasons I have had.

Anyway got my eye on a few I hope to see return once the snow melts and should have some time to put together of a video of some of them. The wife is getting a couple of points again and was thinking of hunting the muzzy hunt this year but with the late dates I think we will push that hunt off one more year.

Below is a short vid of a buck I got with the family in tow and hope to see make the winter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QW7idwqI88

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Yea some cool bucks for you wyo boys last year congrats again to you both on some great bucks!

I will be up high for me that is 11,500+ once mid July hits. Already have a couple of family backpacking trips planned as nothing better than time scouting w family. Then I will go out solo a few more with one a exploration trip as we all have to see new area's. With all the snow we already have I would think most passes will not open until about July 4th this year.

Last year decided to leave a couple points on the table and drew a archery license. Had a great scouting season and found 3-4 great bucks with one that really stood out. Yea he did..

Put a ton of time into finding/scouting/patterning him but alas after putting him to bed on the last sunday before the opener on the way back to the truck I rolled a 4 wheeler over myself it got my leg, alone, in a rain/hail storm... I did not break it but could barley walk and against doctors orders decided to hunt. As the buck I was hunting was a once in a lifetime type opportunity. Needless to say the injury made the hunt a more of a challenge than I expected but in 15 days hunting I got with in 46, 55, and 80 yards of my target buck. With a bow sometimes it works out and sometimes it does not this time luck was with the buck. Still a great adventure, where I met some great folks, and all in all one of the most amazing seasons I have had.

Anyway got my eye on a few I hope to see return once the snow melts and should have some time to put together of a video of some of them. The wife is getting a couple of points again and was thinking of hunting the muzzy hunt this year but with the late dates I think we will push that hunt off one more year.

Below is a short vid of a buck I got with the family in tow and hope to see make the winter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QW7idwqI88
Good luck, I look forward to your posts every year from scouting season!

Never in Doubt

Jul 9, 2012
I'll be up in the CA high country again. The deer tend to be blacktail/muley crosses at times, but the country is just addicting! I think I go as much for the scenery as I do for the hunting.

IMG_0922.jpg
IMG_0938.jpg
IMG_1268.jpg

Farmer

Jan 25, 2014
Live Free or Die New Hampshire
Looks like I'll be cashing in a bunch of points for a Colorado muley with my ol'smokepole if'n the winter isn't too godawful like a coupla years ago. Guess I'll be solo once again, just me and my backpack in the high country wilderness area. I swore I'd do it before I turned 72 and that was last year. Gotta go...

hskrhntr

Aug 8, 2014
Nebraska
Yes sir! Not sure where yet but I'll be up there one way or another.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Well I guess I'm out for this year. Went to the doc Friday and found out I have to have reconstruction surgery on my knee. Recovery time 6-12 months. The upside is that this will hopefully give me lots more good years. Had big plans for this year that I guess will have to get put on hold til next year.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
We'll keep you in our prayers. Hopefully you'll be back at it soon and the bucks will be just that much bigger!

carte1be

Feb 27, 2019
Michigan
I will be applying for a deer tag in Wyoming this year. First time Mule Deer hunt. Should be a blast! All the units I am looking at will be 7,000+

archeranthony

Dec 10, 2018
Texas
looks like i will be doing high country mule deer hunting this year. Drew a Colorado Tag. I will be hunting unit 18 at about 8 to 9500 ft. This will be my first time ever hunting mule deer/ elk. Im going to buy a elk tag too since it is OTC in that unit. I will be up there opening day and all the first week. Maybe i will see some of you in the woods.

Wyoming Hart

Very Active Member
Oct 10, 2014
Spring Run, PA
Found out my uncle and cousin got Utah deer tags. My cousin and I will have elk tags as well. Man it was hard to see bucks all over last year and no tag.

Joseph

Jan 25, 2014
Creston BC Canada
My daughter wants to start backpack hunting with me so I've arranged with one of her friends' father( he likes to backpack but isn't a hunter) to go with us on a couple of weekend hunts. My wife isn't so worried when it's just me but when I'm taking one of her babies into the mountains with no cell service she gets nervous. We'll be going into a couple of beautiful areas where the cutthroat fishing is good and I know there are mature mule deer(tracks have been followed), but are few and far between.DSC01107.jpgDSCF1031.jpg
It doesn't bother me to be out of cell service(in fact I like it, one of my best friend's says I'm a Luddite because I refuse to sign on to Facebook or Instagram or Twitter), my cell is for work only, other than weekdays 6:30am-5:00pm it's off and I don't carry it. Part of the adventure for me is being on my own, completely. I'll have to get a Spot or Delorme if my daughter really gets interested.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
Re: no cell service in wilderness areas, I'm trying something new this year. I'm not so much worried about getting ahold of people, it's mostly giving my wife some peace of mind that she can get ahold of ME if there's an emergency at home.

I picked up a small portable UHF radio, one of the crappy (but they do work) Baofeng models. I've got a specific frequency written down for my wife and a note that I'll check in every hour on the hour. (Just turn it on for a couple minutes and listen.) If anything comes up, she can call emergency services or a friend we have living near the area and they can go to the trailhead and reach me. It also gets the weather radio frequencies which is nice.

I got mine refurbished for like $20. Yeah, it's no Spot Messenger, but there's no monthly service fee either. If this "checks the box" to make my wife less worried, it's $20 and 7oz well spent.

mntnguide

Very Active Member
Re: no cell service in wilderness areas, I'm trying something new this year. I'm not so much worried about getting ahold of people, it's mostly giving my wife some peace of mind that she can get ahold of ME if there's an emergency at home.

I picked up a small portable UHF radio, one of the crappy (but they do work) Baofeng models. I've got a specific frequency written down for my wife and a note that I'll check in every hour on the hour. (Just turn it on for a couple minutes and listen.) If anything comes up, she can call emergency services or a friend we have living near the area and they can go to the trailhead and reach me. It also gets the weather radio frequencies which is nice.

I got mine refurbished for like $20. Yeah, it's no Spot Messenger, but there's no monthly service fee either. If this "checks the box" to make my wife less worried, it's $20 and 7oz well spent.
Id be very surprised if that works more than a few miles away...i know people who use them snowmobiling, and you definitely cannot expect them to reach other all the time. So unless you are hunting above your house, you might want to check if that is actually going to work at any distance. The weather channels are a repeating frequency that can carry long distance and be picked up, it is different than the channel you would be using to talk to your wife. Hope it works for you for that price, but id be very surprised if it can communicate much more than a couple miles especially in the mountains.