High Country Mule Deer Outfitter

hskrhntr

Aug 8, 2014
Nebraska
I'm looking for recommendations on a back country, preferably horses to wall tent camp, outfitter. I've gone DIY pack-in in CO the last two years and figured out that it's going to take me a lot of years to learn the mule deer game at this rate. I have 7 points in both CO and WY. I'd prefer to keep those for DIY hunts in the future, but I have considered using my WY on Region G. I'm looking for a good hunt where I can learn how to hunt the mountains from a good quality guide. Of course, I would also like to find a big boy ;) while I'm learning. I have budget of $4-5K. I can shoot 160 mulies where I live, so I'm looking for a chance at a 180+. I've never done a guided hunt because I like the challenge of doing it on my own, but I love mountain hunting and I want to learn how to do it right. I don't care about extra comforts, my main interest is a good hunt. Thanks in advance!!!!

gypsumreaper

Mar 13, 2014
Now is the time to be researching outfitters. There are outfitters that specialize in elk, some specialize in deer and others do both. But most wall tent outfitters are usually elk guys with optional deer available. If you want to save your points in CO your gonna have to settle on a leftover tag, Every unit in Colorado has the potential for 180" bucks. But for a good shot at a 180" buck you're gonna have to burn ur points. Most the units that actually have leftover deer tags are the not so great ones. 4-5k is a good budget, and you should be able to get a quality hunt for that price.
So high country does that mean you want the high elevation deer tag or just want to be in the mountains?
They have the high country rifle deer tags during sept for above 10,000 feet. They also have early rifle deer tags in some units. Otherwise you have plenty of other season options. What is your preferred weapon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
Hunted region G last season on a drop hunt type trip had a great time seen 3 bucks over 180. If I had 5 pts I would be back this season too.

hskrhntr

Aug 8, 2014
Nebraska
Thanks, Gypsum. I guess yes, mountains is primarily what I'm looking for, not necessarily high. As far as preferred weapon, I'd prefer rifle. I'd do muzzle or archery if it was a great hunt option.

gypsumreaper

Mar 13, 2014
Archery is usually tags that require less pp. later season rifle tags will require more. So the hard part is not burning ur points and getting a tag, you could put in the draw for a highly sought after tag one you are basically guaranteed not to draw. Then ask for a leftover license draw instead of refund. I believe that if you draw on a leftover license you do not lose points but I'm not 100% sure. Would be a question for a Dow office. These aren't going to be prime trophy units but better chance than the last resort leftover tag. Then it's up to finding and outfitter in one of those units available

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO
If you are wanting to hunt with a rifle in a Colorado high country early season rifle hunt I believe you will have to use your PP's. If you are ok with archery or ML then I believe there are several units that have above alpine hunting you can get as a 2nd choice. The nice option about archery or ML is that you are not required to stay within a certain area within your hunt unit. Most of the high country early season hunts require you to stay above timberline.