High Country Conditions

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Just got back from scouting this am. Went up to 11,500' and saw lots of sign. Water everywhere as it looks like it has rained a lot. Soon as I get some oictures transfered I'll post them. Probably won't get back up there until a couple of days before M/L season opens. But things look pretty good. A lot depends on how many hunters are there too.

trkytrack2

Sep 13, 2011
Sterling, Colorado
I took these the other day.

Found an old cabin. Love to know the history of who lived there.

Thanks for the beautiful pictures. I'm just a little bit jealous. I now live in Sterling, Colorado and if you love flat, (which I hate), this is the place. I spent most of my adult life in the northern front range where I could see the mountains everyday and I spent a lot of time stomping around in them. Sure do miss them. Thanks again.

Old Hunter

Banned
Dec 28, 2011
Buena Vista, Co.
Everything is much greener this year. Even down where I live at 8000ft the ranches are green. Normally they're burnt brown this time of year. I think it's why I hear as much bugling at 8000ft as I do at 12,000ft. Food it everywhere.

Vanish

Nov 28, 2011
Gunbarrel, CO
Everything is much greener this year. Even down where I live at 8000ft the ranches are green. Normally they're burnt brown this time of year. I think it's why I hear as much bugling at 8000ft as I do at 12,000ft. Food it everywhere.
Which is so interesting since the plains look like they're about to combust and the res's are almost empty.

Old Hunter

Banned
Dec 28, 2011
Buena Vista, Co.
Ready as I can get. Was up to the hunting area this morning. Hunting partners are coming up from Bancarbo Co tomorrow, and we'll go up again to snoop around. Storm came in early today. It should be better weather tomorrow.

How about you?

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Me too. Will be getting my travel trailer out of the barn later this week to pack and get everything going. Just need to get some grub bought and packed and I'll be ready. I will be leaving on Wednesday to get my camp set up. Going to the range tomorrow to try something new on my .257 Wby, not even taking my M/L. Only problem I have is I will have to come home on Monday during the season (only for 1/2 day) to take an NRA certification class our club arranged for. Maybe I'll get lucky and have my cow by then....

Good luck, and have fun.

Roger

Old Hunter

Banned
Dec 28, 2011
Buena Vista, Co.
Much easier for me. I come home every night. So, I only need to bring enough for the day. It only takes me 30min to the hunting area.

A bed and a shower sounds better to me than a sleeping bag and a creek. :)

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I'm going about 40 miles up the road to a FS camp and then it's an hour ride on a 4 wheel drive road on my quad to get to where I leave it and another half an hour or so hike to where I want to be at daylight. Stay all day until dark, then back to the trailer, dinner and bed. Start over the next day...