High Cascade Oregon Blacktail

elkcrazy

Feb 21, 2011
Waldport Oregon
Is anyone going to hunt Blacktails this year on the Pacific Crest TRAIL I have always wanted to try it but didn't know if there was enough deer to warrant the effort.I like to get the HighCascade deer tag but have never packed in anywhere maybe someone knows a better place.

Jerry

Feb 21, 2011
Joseph Or
I'm not sure if the shady cove area is in the High Cascade area or not, but there are still good blacktails in that area. They take nice bucks down there every year!

Attachments

elkcrazy

Feb 21, 2011
Waldport Oregon
I think that shady cove is in .I killed a 136" 4 point around Hills Creek years ago.My problem is that all the pressure there is because of the shady beach fire.

Jerry

Feb 21, 2011
Joseph Or
I haven't hunted down there in years. Didn't even realize there had been a fire. my grandson took a nice buck down there a couple years ago.

iamup

Feb 25, 2011
Redding, CA
I actually do deer hunt the PCT in California. There are a lot of deer on the PCT. I have a friend that in years past, after work, will walk on the PCT and ends up getting a buck every year. I don't know what Oregon offers but here in Northern California, I see a lot of deer. I don't see a lot of bucks but they are there. Just have to glass a lot and walk slow.

indianw

Mar 2, 2011
Elverta, Ca
I have hunted the pacific crest trail here in northern california even before they put the trail in started in the early 70's have killed a lot of bucks some very large, seems every ten years or so we get some large bucks.

sjsmallfield

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Jackson, CA
I have also hunted the PCT here in CA. I have never seen alot of deer. With that being said I have always seen some deer and most of the time I will see at least buck or two. Good luck this season!

Apr 7, 2011
Oregon
I do a lot of bow elk hunting in the high cascades on both sides of the PCT. We camp near waldo lake, every year there are a few hunters with the high cascade rifle tags up there and i have yet to see one kill a deer or even hear a shot. In the last 10 years ive seen only 2 forked horns and a handful of does up there, but then again im elk hunting. I would try to get a little lower than the PCT for the high cascade hunt where there are better food sources that the deer like. Good Luck if you go